New to the WA board--MAMC patient

Andrea_1972
on 1/3/10 3:39 pm - WA

Hi ya'll

I had my revision from VBG to RNY back in November of 09. I had my surgery at MAMC by Dr. Martin. I saw him one time to set up the uppe GI and the next time I saw him we were schedualing my surgery. I had struggled with the stupid docs over at McCord for so long to send me to MAMC just to be checked out. I knew for a very long time something was not "right" with me.I threw up anytime I ate "real" food. This had gone on for years. I had finally given up. My opening was closed to the size of a pencil eraser. OMG!!! I quit smoking in April and then hurt my back and ballooned back up to 190. I was doing a good job of maintaining till then. I feel like I was rushed through the whole procedure. I only saw Dr. Martin ONE time while in the hospital. I saw him at 3 weeks for about 3 minutes. Told not to come back till Feb. I am frustrated because I am very active( feel really good now that I can eat), running 3 miles/ 3times a week and go to the Y for TBC classes 2 days a week. I have barely lost 20 pounds and 16 of that was gone before my 3 week appointment. I am so frustrated right now that I am sitting here eating crackers. What do I do? I am following the food plan(except for this minute) and getting my protien and water and blah blah blah. So why have I stalled at less than 2 months.
Thanks for reading.

Helen_Anne
on 1/4/10 4:39 am - Bremerton, WA

Andrea...

This may odd... but you may not be eating enough..... I know I was not as active as you my first couple of months after surgery. How many calories are you eating every day?  Are you keeping a food journal.... depending on how tall you are and your age.... you may need to eat more food since you are so active.  Do you have a nutritionist that you are working with? She/He might be able to look at your food diary and see what changes you could make. 

Are you taking your supplements?  I am not sure if this would make a difference in weight loss... but I know it makes a difference in your general health.

As far a follow-up goes.... I saw my surgeon at 2 wks, 3 months, 6 months and 1 year. 

I hope this helps.....

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Andrea_1972
on 1/4/10 10:23 am - WA

Helen 

I started a food log today as a matter of fact. Today was about the typical way that I eat. I fell way short on protien and calories were tiny . I never thought about the fact that I was not eating enough. I may do this for a couple of weeks and then make an in between appointment to see my nut.

Andrea

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 1/5/10 12:54 am - WA
I would guess you need more liquid protein, ask your Doc and see if he thinks that will help. Good luck!

Merrilou
LisaAnn
on 1/5/10 7:08 am - WA
Hi there! I too had a VBG revision with Dr. Martin. My VBG had the same problems! My stircture was quite severe as well! I hated the VBG. I did not have RNY, I had DS.

I too would suggest upping the protein in a big way, and also, stalls are common throughout this process. I know how frustrating it is, I honestly do! But it will not last. For me, I tend to lose in chunks, so maybe that is what is going on with you.

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

vitalady
on 1/6/10 10:32 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Are you anywhere near me?

I was thinking if we could sit 'n talk, we might be able to sort thru he info you HAD and now have, the program you HAD and now have, stuff like that.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

curiousasacat
on 1/6/10 11:37 am - WA
I would stall for a month a couple of  times in the past year... but I was losing inches... I wonder -are you losing inches? - yes,  protein intake is important.... someone said liquid protein --- the protein powder drinks would be helpful in the first year of post op...    Someone also said, if very active, make sure to increase the calorie intake, water intake, and also the sodium intake (before, my foods were very low on sodium... but now salt is very important to take in the water into the body)... Hope you can find a support group or a WLS buddy so you can get some feedback in this matter.  A nutritionist would be a good person to talk with as well. Kelly
jillianD
on 1/9/10 4:31 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I agree you probably not getting enough calories, do you drink protein shakes?  Keep your chin up you will lose the weight! 
I think there is another couple of factors going on too,

1. You were a light weight, so you won't lose as much as fast. ( there is a lightweights board on OH in you want to compare #'s)  Your ticker says you want to get down to 150lbs, your already half way there!!
2. I have heard that revisions lose a bit slower, no idea if its true or not.

Enjoy feeling better! 
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

netta
on 1/17/10 3:15 pm
hi
welcome to the group
Try the weight loss surgery support group on Ft Lewis,,we are not at Madigan, no one is being paid to be there, we meet at the ACS Building on ft lewis,across the street from Waller Hall, down the street from the bowling alley.
People just like me that have had their surgery at Madigan and we are there to help each other,,please come ,we alll went thru the pathway, and we want to help you thru your journey,
I had Dr martin 2 1/2 years ago and a tummmy tuck 1 1/2 years ago,,so far I have lost 175lbs
WOW!!!!!!!!!!
we meet on thursdays 5-7 pm,
if you have any questions pleaase email me and I will give you my #,,my name is Redd,I go to tuesdays group at madigan to hand out fliers for our thursday group,,and I like to **** off the dietician,,for now I am underweight,
Please come

REDD

Most Active