Looking for Revision Surgeon in Washington State

MaryJoPowell
on 1/1/10 6:40 am - Sherwood, OR
Hi!
I had a RNY gastric bypass 6 years ago and have regained more than half of the weight I lost (I didn't loose more than 70% of extra weight.)  I am interested in undergoing a RNY-to-DS revision and am having difficulty finding information on reputable surgeons that are expereinced in this procedure.  I live in Portland, Oregon but certainly don't want to limit my options to this area so I'm expanding my search to Washington State as well (even Northern California).

I'm hoping that some of you might be able to help me find info, or that you've had expereince of this sort (or know someone that has). 

THANK YOU!!!!!! 

-Mary
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/1/10 11:41 am
You want only a revision surgeon to do that surgery. Piecing the stomach back together after a RNY is tricky, and changing the intestines to the DS from RNY configuration is delicate (particularly the duodenum). Much higher risk than having a virgin DS or RNY. There are only a handful of surgeons in the world I'd want doing that surgery on me, and one is luckily just south of you in San Francisco. He's been doing these for years, and takes the tough cases too. His info is;

John M. Rabkin, MD, FACS *

Pacific Laparoscopy
2250 Hayes Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94117
Phone: 415-668-3200 or 1-888-848-8446 toll free
Fax: 415-668-2010
Email: [email protected]

I would also suggest looking at DSfacts.com. Many great surgeons there, but not all are revision surgeons.

sppollock
on 1/2/10 12:13 am
I just had a revision surgery on 12/3.  I had my original surgery i***** just a bit of background.  The Dr. I used for my revision surgery was Dr. Thirlby at Virginia Mason in Seattle.

https://www.virginiamason.org/home/dept.cfm?id=1092

Good luck.
ssd1962
on 1/5/10 1:59 am - Issaquah, WA
Dr David Lauter
Institute for Laproscopic Surgery
Bellevue, WA
laproscopyNW.com
425-453-7888

great surgeon in a great practice, great hospital, done alot of revisions. Can usually get a quick surgery date depending on insurance requirements.
charlesh
on 1/7/10 11:54 am - Vancouver, WA
Dr David Lauter is is the best a far as I am concerned

9 weeks out
SeattleBiggie
on 1/8/10 9:23 am
Mary, Check out Thien Nguyen, MD the head of bariatric surgery for Overlake Hospital in Bellevue. He's a genius, nice guy, Harvard educated and I adore him. His website is http://www.overlakehospital.org/programs.aspx?id=1498 Good luck Kathy
Mdae
on 1/8/10 12:12 pm
There are a VERY limited number of surgeons that I would trust if i were a revision.  Dr. Rabkin is #1 on that list.

Most Active