Eating Everything in Site!

QueenB98059
on 11/20/09 8:52 am - RENTON, WA
I'm scheduled for my surgery on Jan 19.  In my mind I have to eat all the food I will not be able to eat after the surgery.  I can't seem to stop.  I am scared I will feel the same way after the surgery and crave all these foods.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Queenie
Helen_Anne
on 11/22/09 1:05 am - Bremerton, WA
I can TOTALLY relate to this... but except for a few foods... really high sugar and high fat foods... you will be able to eat most foods you can eat now... Just MUCH smaller servings.   

I know that for me... there are foods that I LOVED before surgery (pasta, rice, bread)... really don't have the power over me after surgery.  It does seem weird that this is true.. but it is...

If you can spend this time before surgery... taking a multi-vitamin, drinking more water(at least 64oz), walking more and or get more exercise.... this will REALLY help you prepare for surgery.  

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

pnw
on 11/22/09 5:03 am - Vashon, WA
 Don't think of it as you last meal but more the starting line to your new relationship with food.  Your head is playing with you - try to get in front of that before the surgery so it is not too hard after.  

I went on my 1000 cal diet 6 weeks before - and I did it willingly so it was like a game to see just what I could walk away from and 'not be too deprived'.  I missed my cookies.  Found that protein drinks were not that bad and when added to yogurt were good.  

I started to load up on my protein drinks.  Tried to get in 60-80 grams a day.  Protein helps you heal on the other side and you will be in a good space when you must have your protein.  I like Premier Protein - 30 gr of protein and 1 gram sugar. 

We all had to knock this monkey off our back and many of us struggle daily after the surgery.  But as Helen wrote - some of those cravings actually are gone.  I was also a rice and pasta junky - I don't crave that anymore either.  

Protein first -
Start getting your water intake up and practice no water or liquids 30 min before and after you eat.  That was hard for me at first too.  

Keep in touch - you have a great support - non judgmental group here.  We are all on this road together - some hit intersections differently and some are paving the while for those who need a few more directions.

Good luck
Mary - Vashon
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

QueenB98059
on 11/22/09 12:14 pm - RENTON, WA
Thank you ladies.  You are all an inspiration!

Queenie
MacawMother
on 11/24/09 5:39 pm
I had a "last meal" before my pre-op diet began. I went to Red Lobster and chowed down!   I can't do it now because I have to lose a certain amount of weight prior to surgery or my surgeon won't do it.  So, that for me is my motivation.  There are so many benefits to losing weight before your surgery.  It shrinks your liver, which is right on top of your stomach, making it easier to do the surgery.  You are healthier which makes healing faster.  You will already work through your "head hunger" when you're on the diet so you won't be as likely to "cheat" once you have the surgery.  I have two weeks left!  I'm so frigging excited!!!  

Good luck to you and keep us posted!
MacawMother   Heighest/333        Goal/177        Current/152  =  total loss of 181 lbs
Looking into plastics now.   Would like a lower body lift, thigh lift, & boob job.
QueenB98059
on 11/25/09 3:29 am - RENTON, WA
Thank you for your response.

Keep us posted also!

Q
jcheryld
on 11/30/09 11:13 am
Hey there Queenie,
I remember around this time last year planning my last supper and thinking about foods I'll never be able to eat again. Well like Helen said, you'll be able to eat any food post-op, just much smaller amounts... and in graduated steps. Some docs say no milk... no bread/pasta/rice/potatoes... well you'll find that you will be able to eat those things, but maybe just a bite instead of a 1/2 cup serving, and the power that food item once had over you won't be there any longer. For me it was cookies- but since I'm a dumper, any high sugar food makes me feel so awful that I don't get that same enjoyment from sweets that I used to. I'm so thankful for that!

All said, having a "last supper" was a great moment of closure for me and my dysfunctional relationship with food, and it opened doors to a healthier, 147lb lighter, brand new me. I couldn't be more thankful!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

Most Active