Medically supervises diets?

amfaery
on 11/15/09 10:05 pm
Has anyone done a medically supervised diet and can tell me more?  Experience, was weight loss maintained, were you starving?  Any real life info would help!  Thanks :)
Helen_Anne
on 11/15/09 11:52 pm - Bremerton, WA

I had to do a medically supervised diet.  I choose to do it with one the dietitions at my surgeons office.  I lost about 14 pounds... mostly in the first 2 months... then I spent the last 4 months maintaining my weight loss... but I spent the last 4 months getting off of caffine, diet soda, taking vitamins, drinking more water and getting more exercise.

You may want to try a "South Beach" type food plan... since that is similar to the food plan we are on after surgery - high protein and  limited simple carbs.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

MacawMother
on 11/16/09 4:58 am
I'm on a medically supervised diet right now as part of my six week pre-op plan.  It's called Optifit.  It's part of the program at my surgeon's office.  It's high protein food that you buy from their office.  I have shakes, bars (similar to granola bars), soups, entrees.  I eat something every two hours so I'm not hungry.  In my head I still have the desire for food but that's what I'm trying to work out prior to surgery.  We also are required to do some weight training with a personal trainer (right in the office) twice a week for about 15 minutes.  So far I've lost 16 pounds and I still have three more weeks to go.
MacawMother   Heighest/333        Goal/177        Current/152  =  total loss of 181 lbs
Looking into plastics now.   Would like a lower body lift, thigh lift, & boob job.
lizzybear
on 11/17/09 9:30 am - Olympia, WA
Yep - and like Helen Anne said - mine was basically like the South Beach diet plan, which is really close to how we eat post-op once cleared for all foods. 

I got to have three meals and three snacks a day.  The meals were 3-4 oz. of meat and 1/2 cup of steamed (or 1 cup raw) veggies.  The snacks were a fruit or veggie with a small amount of protein (an apple with reduced sugar & fat peanut butter, a pear with a light string cheese, stuff like that).  I typically had an apple or strawberries in place of the veggies because pre-op the only veggies I liked were iceberg lettuce, raw carrots, green beans, and frozen corn.  Nothing else!  Now I absolutely love every veggie I've tried and have to force myself to eat my protein first at meals, otherwise I'd live on veggies.

I wasn't ever really hungry because I was eating every two hours, but the head hunger was still there and was something I really had to work on.

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

amfaery
on 11/17/09 10:25 pm
Thanks, Maybe I will try more frequent small meals again, I never heard the term "head Hunger"  but that makes sense.  I have been on and off Weigh****chers for 15 years and it is a total yo-yo for me up and down.  I think I am giving "dieting " one more try before I give up!
shellshock
on 11/19/09 4:39 am - Bremerton, WA
I had to do a medically supervised six month pre-op diet for my insurance. This meant I was to see my doctor to have my stats done, weight logged and talked about what I was doing to lose weight. I also had to see a nutritionist who told me what I should be eating. No puchasing prepackaged foods from anyone she just said stay under this amount of calories and eat these foods but stay away from these foods. I lost some weight but not much. It wasn't a big deal at all. The most important thing was that you never missed an appointment and in total you had to see them seven times. The first one to log that you were starting then one at the end of each month. As long as they had good notes and said you were following what they suggested it was good.

I have heard that some insurances will let you do Weigh****chers or Jenny Craig but you have to see your doctor at the same time and each month have them log your stats so that you have seven chart notes to turn in at the end. It just depends on your insurance.
Shellshock
Revision from Lapband to RNY
Surgery date: 11/17/09 - Dr. Srikanth
HW 316/ SW 283/ CW 235 / 1st Goal 250/ 2nd Goal 200/ 3rd Goal 175 

Most Active