Regained too much after WLS and need help

karenyt
on 11/13/09 2:28 pm - Renton, WA
I had successful WLS about 4+ years ago and lost from 310 to 157 in weight.  However, have regained toooooo much for anyone's comfort and now about 240+ again... want this to stop and reverse.  Original RNY surgery was great through Dr. Alperovich when at WISH in Renton, WA but just before 1st anniversary when still really successful WISH closed down and I lost Dr., nutritionist, support group, and WISH protein powder, which I used daily for food and protein support.  Any suggestions for what to do next will be greatly appreciated!!  Also, has anyone had ROSE (a nonsurgical revision) - I read a little about - and any comments?   Any idea of price, success, etc?  Also need suggestions and support to get under control again ... my pouch has stretched some but is still there and I have malabsorption to point where I am anemic now.  Also, sleep apnea is back and I just want to feel better again ... I loved the weight losing process as I got lots of compliments, etc.  Anyone relate - support - comments?  I'll be more than glad to support anyone else in their WLS and weight loss too.
Karen Y. Thompson
Seeking assistance and support and ideas
pnw
on 11/14/09 6:14 am - Vashon, WA
 I am new to this myself - just 6 weeks.  But have read about the potential to regain.  Have you seen this site http://5daypouchtest.com/plan/faq.html

I am not sure if it has any value but might be worth looking at and asking for feedback.  

Wish you lived closer - would be happy to walk with you.  If you work in Seattle we could team up there.  

Hang in there - half the battle is recognizing the issue - the other half is addressing it and moving forward.  

Mary - Vashon
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

Helen_Anne
on 11/14/09 11:20 pm - Bremerton, WA
Karen...

I am sorry that you have had some weight gain...I worry about that I too will regain some of weight I have lost too...

I have heard mixed reviews about the ROSE procedure... you may want to visit the revision board here on OH and see what others have said about it.

One thing you may want to try now is "going back to the basics".... measure and record everything you eat....eat protien first, then veggies, then complex carbs( whole grains)/fruit, and no grazing.  If you need to find a good protein supplement... I would suggest visiting either of these Northwest companys   Enjoyhealth.com (in auburn) or Vitalady.com (pullayap)... at both locotions you can "taste" before you buy... hopefully you can find a protein supplement that you like. 

There is a  WLS  support group at the FW Virginia Mason Clinic the wedsday  (6 to 8pm) before Thanksgiving, I think this month we are doing a review of what we have learned this year.  There is also a Seattle Virginia Mason WLS support group that meets on the first thurs of the month from 6 to 8 pm). and this month one of the Nutritionist is speaking. 

There are support groups at St Francis and Overlake hospitals... hopefully some of the people who attend those will chime in.

Feel free to send me personal message... I would love to support you...

I am struggling a little myself... my mother has lung cancer that is spreading... and I realize that no matter how much crap I eat.... my eating will not stop her cancer from spreading... and I need to take care of myself (eat healthy and get daily exercise) so that I can be there for her.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

thisbe777
on 11/17/09 11:16 am
helen -

is that support group meeting in federal way for any wls, or just rny?  where is it in the clinic?

i haven't been able to find a support group that meets on a day other than monday (i have a night class on mondays)

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

Helen_Anne
on 11/17/09 11:31 am - Bremerton, WA
The support group is for all WLS types... but most of us are RNY's.  The the support group is in the Ambultory Surgery Center Waiting Room. the clinic is on 1st Ave... around 328th.  You need to park in the back on the clinic... since the front doors lock at 7pm.

The FW clinic also has a Lap Band support group also... I think it's on the 2nd tues of the month... but I am not sure.

I hope to see you this month... we have a great group!!!

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Christine Gibson
on 11/18/09 11:21 am - Redmond, WA
Greetings everyone:   MONTHLY SUPPORT GROUP MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT   This Thursday November 19, 2009, we will have our support group meeting at the Redmond Pancake House.  Time? 7:00 p.m. in the back room.    I am putting together a nutrition challenge for everyone who elects to, to participate in.    If you are serious about wanting to be healthy / remain healthy and to not continue to suffer as you have whether it be with not being able to eat tomatoes, have acid reflux, or even irritable bowel syndrome, have malabsorption concerns for the future, or concerns about not losing weight -- or even consistently gaining weight, I strongly recommend you attend.  We'll have some exciting ideas and a challenge for you.  Up to it?  I know you are!   This weight loss surgery is serious business.  The folks who truly succeed with this surgery, and I'm talking about those who are more than in the 1 year to 18 month honeymoon period, are those who actively participate in support group meetings.  You lament that you are gaining weight?  You lament that clothes are getting tighter?  You lament that your health isn't that great?  Well, what are you doing to help yourself?  Help starts by regularly participating in these support group meetings.  It is not done in a vacuum.   Take the initial step.  You can do it.  You can begin to achieve success.  See you at our monthly meetings!  Start with this Thursday, November 19, 2009, Redmond Pancake House, Redmond WA 98052.  7:00 p.m.  Back room.  See you there!  
                Christine Gibson, MS, MA
       ObesityHelp Support Group Leader and Support Group Coach
               Bariatric University Suport Group Coach
               www.ObesityHelp.com/group/BellevueWA
               [email protected]
Mdae
on 11/18/09 12:46 pm
if you're seriously considering a revision, please, please consider the DS.  the DS has the best stats for loss and regain.  go to the Revision forum and see which surgeries are 'failing'.  how many people get revised from a DS to something else? - i know of none.
Most Active