Does Madigan DO the Sleeve?

kayakinbum
on 11/10/09 2:57 pm - Seattle, WA
VSG on 02/23/10 with
I know they do the DS - so they do the sleeve, but do they do the sleeve as a stand-alone procedure? Does anyone know?

I am having a horrible time trying to get into Madigan! I have spent 2.5 weeks wasted on trying to get a hold of people, misinformation, and dead-ends. Today, I found out that TriCare approved initial consultations with a gastric bypass surgeon in Seattle - a civilian doctor. I already HAVE a civilian surgeon that I love and he does the sleeve but TriCare doesn't cover it in the "civilian world." But, they referred me out b/c they said Madigan doesn't do gastric bypass - but it's unclear if they are saying they don't do gastric bypass (which, obviously they do) or if they are saying they don't do the sleeve?

I am BEYOND frustrated at this point. This is ridiculous. Has anyone else had this much trouble with Madigan?

BMI: 55.2/46.6/25 (Start/Current/Goal)

newlisab
on 11/11/09 7:45 am
If you mean the VSG; then yes they do :<)
Lisa ~ 
262/138
124lbs LOST =post op   size 2-4
-

slimmingdown1lastti
me

on 11/11/09 9:21 am
I went to my reg. doctor and had them put in a referral to madigan and it was accepted then the start of the pathway and now I have had my surgery . They do pretty much all the surgeries. Sleeve, gastric bypass, DS, and the band. Good luck on your journey.
rebeccaford
on 11/11/09 10:42 am - Honolulu, HI

Madigan does the sleeve (VSG).  Back in 2003 I was referred to a civilian surgeon for a surgery that they didn't do at Madigan.  

If you already have been approved to see a surgeon in the civilian world then go for it.  Not all surgeons take Tricare.  Tricare doesn't always approve you out.  Remember this is an elective procedure.  They don't have to refer you out.

You know they do gastric bypass at Madigan because they weren't able to do it on you.  So I can't believe you are getting the run around.  Call General Surgery and ask to speak to your surgeon that did your first surgery.  See if he can put in the referral or offer you a solution.   Sorry you are having so many problems.  I would contact the Patient Advocate at Madigan if you get nowhere.  
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

kayakinbum
on 11/11/09 2:19 pm - Seattle, WA
VSG on 02/23/10 with
It was a civilian doctor that did my RNY attempt - he does the sleeve but TriCare doesn't cover it. So, referring me to another civilian is just ridiculous...

But, I did find out today that Madigan rejected my referral b/c they said they don't have room to take me?? That's what TriCare is saying. So, I have messages into Madigan to see what is going on. I can't even get so far as to talk to a surgeon!

I'll keep you all updated. Ack!

rebeccaford
on 11/11/09 2:49 pm - Honolulu, HI
 Oh Laura...I'm so so sorry!  I have mis-understood (which is not uncommon - I'm blonde!) your situation.  Yes, that so does not make sense.  I am a fan of Madigan though...Tricare not so much usually.  

The thing with Tricare that bugs me is that you can talk to 3 different people and get 3 different answers to the same question.  

I think I would call the Patient Advocate.  I don't know what the one is like at Madigan, but when we were at Ft Campbell, I had "issues" and boy they were right on top of it.  

Good luck and I hope to hear a more positive outcome next time :-)  

Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG

kayakinbum
on 11/11/09 4:43 pm - Seattle, WA
VSG on 02/23/10 with
No No don't apologize. My situation is just so confusing - I don't even understand it. LOL

I think I will call the patient advocate.

This is interesting though: When I was on the phone with TriCare today, the lady I was talking to (who was great) was chatting online with her supervisor to try to get some answers and here is what she said to me:

"I'm going to ask her if you should call the patient advocate."
"oh, she says NO, absolutely not"
I said, "Really? Why not?"
She said, "Hmm, I don't know..."

and when she was done with the conversation with her supervisor she said, "I can't tell you to go against what my supervisor said and CALL the patient advocate... but I'd look into it..."

Hmmm....

Anyway, any ideas of how to find out a number for the patient advocate?

Thanks for listening and responding to this whole mess! LOL

rebeccaford
on 11/12/09 11:35 am - Honolulu, HI
 Okay, they call it Patient Representative here.  

253-968-1145

Keep us posted!

Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG

kayakinbum
on 11/12/09 4:07 pm - Seattle, WA
VSG on 02/23/10 with
Thank you so much! I did find that number online last night and I called and left a message today!!

LisaAnn
on 11/13/09 1:53 am - WA
Good Luck Laura, I hope they call you back soon and get this mess resolved!!!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Most Active