Loose skin, rash-what to do?

curiousasacat
on 11/3/09 4:17 am - WA

I've been making sure I'm dry after taking showers etc, but I still have some kind of rash -- probably yeast infection... I bet it's from all the sweating into the folds of the skin that keeps the rash sticking around... I hope it's not serious enough to think about plastic surgery... what did you experience to have whatever done to cut down the excessive skin? Suggestions?

vitalady
on 11/3/09 6:33 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
First, docoment it for what it is. Yeast. In case.

Then, do not use powders or cornstarch! They feed the yeast.

My derma taught me how to treat it, but it only trets, does not cute.

Wash, rinse, dry. Run a bead a anti-fungal CREAM (like Lotrimin or store brand, in the athlete's foot part, not gyne lotrimin)

Do it 3 times per day, all 4 steps. Then 2, then 1, then hold at one, always.

The yeast are live things, so you have to wash them away, and then make the area inhospitable.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

curiousasacat
on 11/5/09 12:49 pm - WA
Thanks, I didn't know about the powder aggravating rashes... been doing that... now using the cream (and also the anti-microbial soap in the shower, that i just recently got for my minor surgery) Kelly
pnw
on 11/5/09 4:13 am - Vashon, WA
also wash with an anitifungal shampoo - ask your phramacy for a stong over the counter type.  Leave it on in the shower for about 3 min - then rise.

the folds are keeping the heat/moisture in causing the infection.  make sure you don't start to have open sores - that opens another issue. 
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

curiousasacat
on 11/5/09 12:48 pm - WA
Thanks for the tips, I have some of the antimicrobial soap which may help (I had used it for my minor surgery this AM)
vitalady
on 11/6/09 4:08 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
And anti-FUNGAL cream. Yeast is a fungus and it's way more dangerous than just unattractive. It can begin to weep, bleed, open and get infected.

Sounds like you'll hold your own once you get a grip.

MOST of us use the blow dryer, maybe put a soft cloth in the fold, and use corn starch or powder or corn starch powder, but of course, half was right (getting it clean and dry) and then throwing a month's supply of food at those clean lil yeastie beasties.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

jillianD
on 11/5/09 7:36 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Use a blowdryer when you get out of the shower, the drier you are the harder it is for stuff to grow.  Make sure you are wearing breathable undies and gym clothes!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

curiousasacat
on 11/5/09 12:47 pm - WA
Breathable?  well when I'm riding my bike everywhere .... my butt is practically glued to the seat...   I'll be having 2 weeks off biking due to minor surgery under my foot (just a big lump of scar tissue but enough to be painful -- just came out of nowhere 5 weeks ago..) and using crutches... oy! Thanks for replying
curiousasacat
on 11/5/09 12:51 pm - WA
I just realized I did not clarify where my "rash" was.... yeah it's my butt....at the very tip of the crack...  hope this was not TMI...but only way I can describe it. LOL
Paula C.
on 11/5/09 10:14 am
Most Active