If One more person tells me to stop losing weight (I'm going to scream )

celinejen
on 10/12/09 3:18 am - Kirkland, WA
I don't know about any of you. But, I really am getting sick of well intentioned people telling me I should stop losing weight. What are these people the "The Weight Police."  I have certain goals and I will be damed if anyone thinks they are going to get in the way of those goals. I have worked to bloody hard to get where I am to stop now. I understand people have their concerns and thats all really well and fine, but I know where I want to be weightwise and nothing and nobody is stoping me. I'm not doing this for them, I'm doing it for me.

I never imagined I'd ever be in a place where people thought I was getting "TOO THIN" If you would have told me this over 3 years ago, I wouldn't have believed it.

Go figure......

Jen

From: 216  Now: 125   From: 38C Now: 32B From: Size 16  Now: Size 6

MacawMother
on 10/12/09 6:45 am
As long as you are healthy then I think it's great.  You are beautiful!  

Maybe you can try to change your thinking when people make these comments?  Try to take them as compliments.  Maybe it's jealousy?  Maybe you now look better than they do? 

Congratulations!   I hope to have that problem someday!  LOL  
MacawMother   Heighest/333        Goal/177        Current/152  =  total loss of 181 lbs
Looking into plastics now.   Would like a lower body lift, thigh lift, & boob job.
vitalady
on 10/12/09 8:25 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Somehow being heavy cancels all rules of etiquette.

So, I'm guessing that once that line has been crossed, the etiquette never comes back.

My stock answer: "Thank you for your concern. My doctor and I are working on this together." You can't convince them that you're not done, are done, are ok---it's just a never ending argument. Give them something unarguable.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

jillianD
on 10/12/09 3:07 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with

Well from the look of your ticker I would say you are done?  Tell them that!  I think it is as hard for people to adjust to our weight loss a it is for us, espically if they aren't seeing you often. I swear I hear a new round every time I buy a new pair of pants and fully expect to hear it again next week when I go back to work after my LBL. 

It takes time for everyone to get used to the new you.

Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

curiousasacat
on 10/13/09 1:55 pm - WA
You are not alone! I've been going through this for the past 6 months  -- Yeah, they are not used to "us".  I just shrug it off because they are not used to seeing such changes. Yeah, right, GO FIGURE! 

Kelly 

pnw
on 10/14/09 1:08 am - Vashon, WA
I agree with Kelly - they are not used to us. 

Turn the table - they say you are too thin - ask them how their weight loss/manangement is going and give them a good look.  They will either engage or leave. 

I belive everbody has a comfort zone.  They have seen us at this weight for so long it is normal to them.  They have never seen us at the weight we were supposed to be - which is normal to us.  People mean well - they involve themselves in lives becasue well - they don't have anything else to do. 

I bet 1 year of seeing you at your new normal will calm them - AND then you gain 5 pounds - it will start the other way - so be prepared. 

You look to be about where I am hoping to go.  I know folks will think that it's too far but who is really hurting here?!  Why is it people think they have the right to comment on our lives or any life for that matter so boldly?  You write - well intentioned - I would have to question that - did these same people tell you were too heavy? 

I commute with a person that is envious of others who do better or seemingly have an easier life.  Not a day has gone by when she has not said - 'you look like you are in pain, you look tired, you should take another week, why did you do this.  I nod and ignore. 

Yesterday I stopped her short.  Thank you - I am fine - better than I have been for a long time - and how are you today? 

Having a saying in your pocket is good - but turning it back to them is even better.  Tell them how YOU feel and how their comments are not appreciated or supported by you or your doctor.  You are in control of your body and it's going well.  So please - don't comment again unless you really like an outfit I'm wearing or I have spinach on my teeth!

You may be looking for a new set of friends - but then - were they you friends to begin with? 

PS - you look great and I hope someday to have to fend off such comments. 

Mary - Vashon
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

-kimber-
on 10/18/09 7:12 am - Burlington, WA
I think you look great. We all have individual goals. Just stick to your goal you will get there. I am almost done with my goal.

Have a great day.

Kimber

Highest 418 lbs 12/04/2007- Surgery 336 lbs 11/11/08 -Goal Weight 180 lbs
S.A.R.A.
on 10/27/09 1:15 pm - Tacoma, WA
I have started to hear a similar comments and sometimes its kills me. I have to remind myself "What are their intentions behind the questions?" I know there are a few that are saying it out of true concern, a few that want me to stay their "fat" friend, and a few that never thought I needed WLS to begin with. I just smile and tell them I only wiegh in at the Doctor's office (a little white lie) and that he is monitoring my wieght loss situation; then tell them I honestly dont know how much I have lost since my last appt. and would never change a thing unless my Dr / Nutitritionist told me to. I mean why go thru this experience and then not follow thier professional medical advice. No one seems to be able to argue with that.
~M

You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.
~~Eleanor Roosevelt

celinejen
on 10/28/09 12:52 am - Kirkland, WA
On October 27, 2009 at 8:15 PM Pacific Time, S.A.R.A. wrote:
I have started to hear a similar comments and sometimes its kills me. I have to remind myself "What are their intentions behind the questions?" I know there are a few that are saying it out of true concern, a few that want me to stay their "fat" friend, and a few that never thought I needed WLS to begin with. I just smile and tell them I only wiegh in at the Doctor's office (a little white lie) and that he is monitoring my wieght loss situation; then tell them I honestly dont know how much I have lost since my last appt. and would never change a thing unless my Dr / Nutitritionist told me to. I mean why go thru this experience and then not follow thier professional medical advice. No one seems to be able to argue with that.
You know I get a small feeling. A small part of them want us to stay the "Fat Friend" it's easier for them not to worry that we actually might look better than them. It's funny that I'm now thinner than all my friends combined. I never thought I'd ever say that. Perhaps the little green monster is rearing it's ugly head.

I litteraly have ex-friends who won't talk to me because of my weightloss, I guess they were never really my friends.  I only keep friends around me who support me in everyway throughout my journey ( which is never ending )

From: 216  Now: 125   From: 38C Now: 32B From: Size 16  Now: Size 6

Most Active