Relocating to WA

PinkFlamingoes
on 10/12/09 1:56 pm - Buckley, WA
Welcome to the Washington board . My name is Kathy & I had a Medial RNY 3 years ago . I live in in Pierce county . But , the town next to mine is named Enumclaw & is in So. King County . They are really into Equestrian stuff . We are midway between Olympia & Seattle . Seattle , of course has a lot of cultuaral things to do , but is expensive to live there . Like someone said , it's the rain that makes it so beautiful here . I was a military brat & wouldn't live anywhere else . I of course would choose to take several trips in the winter if I could afford it . lol . Compared to the midwest , our winters are mild , though . Kathy

reenieb
on 10/12/09 7:53 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi Kathy, thanks - I've researched the Pierce County area and we are really looking seriously into a move there - what is the commuting distance to Seattle? Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
vitalady
on 10/13/09 4:08 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
From which part? Pierce is BIG. From me, because I'm close to the fwy, if o traffic, I allow 40 min. to Bellevue, airport or DT Seattle. IF traffic, I allow 3 hours. She is further from the fwys, but OTOH, if not traffic, we'd probably meet on Hwy 167. LOL

Traffic is the biggest issue to getting to the populated places. We moved to Puyallup from Bremerton in 1995 and since then, they've added over 30,000 new homes, but no new high traffic roads? Hence the traffic, and it is a serious issue.

Pierce Co ends between Sumner (Pierce) and Auburn (King). When we moved here, we preferred Sumner for its small town flavor, but there is more flooding there. Much as I don't like the traffic, I'm on South Hill, so safe from flooding, one mi from Costco, mall, everything. Still my neighborhood is custom homes. BY THAT I MEAN, everybody did their own thing, whether it's 800 SF from the 50's or like mine, 2500 SF a la 1971, or the newer homes 3000 SF, and a coupla duplexes. So, I still have a little country feel. When we moved here, there were horses behind our back fence.

Moving from Kitsap County, our home and car insurance jumped 25% !!! WHOA. But I don't think I'd go back to Bremerton, because I like the proximity to I-5 (6 miles). I can get where I want to go more easily.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

pnw
on 10/13/09 4:06 am - Vashon, WA
Hello and welcome
I moved to the Seattle area in 1986 from the East Coast.  My first impression of Seattle was that it was COLD!  I remember moving in July from 90 and high humidity to 60s and polar fleece.  Now - I could not live any other place.  Where else can you go and have 4 seasons, ocean, lakes, mountains and even deserts all in driving distance of each other?! 

I live SW of Seatle on an island - Vashon.  We are in the middle of things here.  A ferry boat ride to seattle and Southworth or tacoma on either end - Olympia is about an hour once I get off the boat in Tacoma.  The island is small and seems to get much less rain than places around me.  I have been on the island for about 17years now. 

I think the cost of living in Seattle in general is high but so is the pay - if you have a job.  Your target area is limited due to your work requirements.  I know you will find 'horsey' people anywhere on this end of the coast. 

Vashon has a great group and I am certain Olympia has a good group too.

I had my RNY just 2 weeks ago.  I went to the University of Washington.  Great group of doctors and I like that its a teaching hospital too. 
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

reenieb
on 10/13/09 10:27 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi (what's your name?) - how are you feeling after your surgery? I hope you are doing well! Ah, island living - that would be the ideal for me, with enough land to keep my horse, Laela and with enough 'horsely' folks around to have some company! But we will need to work and I am imagining our work with be in Seattle - although not certain. What is your commute to Seattle? Is the ferry fare expensive if one needed to rely on it to get back and forth to Seattle for work? I'm going to take a peek at Vashon Island, sounds beautiful! Thanks so much, and I'll think good thoughts for you to have a speedy and successful recovery. Maureen
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/13/09 8:48 am
I'm in Olympia, and think it's a nice place to be. It's a bit artsy and casual, but friendly. My fiance moved here after living in Boston and Virginia, and would rather live over here. This is also a beautiful part of the country for all kinds of outdoor activity. Since losing the extra weight, I've gotten back to snow skiing, water skiing, hiking, swimming, tennis and roller blading. If you're actually in the Olympia area sometime and feel like taking a walk around capital lake or something, let me know!
Deanne
reenieb
on 10/13/09 10:27 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Artsy, casual, and friendly sounds great! I keep thinking, Deanne, that I'd love to try roller blading now that I can - but I'm afraid of falling at my old age of 53! Would love to stay in touch and I will let you know when we're heading out to do some real estate prospecting and we can take that hike together! Thanks so much. Maureen
pnw
on 10/14/09 12:42 am - Vashon, WA
Hi Marureen

Vashon  gal here (Mary).

If you work south of Seattle you will want to live closer to your work.  Vashon is a 15 min ride to West Seattle then it's about 15 min drive into the city from there.  I work in the south end of Seattle and drive in a carpool daily.  We have many teachers that work off island in Seattle or Tacoma.  Tacoma is a 15 min ride also. 

Living on the island that does not have a bridge takes a certain amount of commitment to your lifesyle that is not defined by your work.  I live on Vashon because I like the community feeling and that my kids - while they are still in highschool are not alone - everybody knows them! 

The ferry cost is factored into your budget.   I pay about $360 per month to drive off and on Mon-Fri for my job.  That does not include gas and parking.  A passanger would pay about $60 per month plus Metro (bus) fare.

You started in Olympia - that is about 60 miles from Seattle.  Living on Vashon would not work for that commute - unless you really really love Vashon of course. 

Sounds like you are not sure where you are landing - once you are firm on that point - it will be easier to shed light on locations.  Living close to your work is not always the ansewer for all.  I work with folks that  live a 3 hour commute away because it's all about the time at home and the weekends for them.  Some live walking distance becasuse that's important to them. 

Having a horse will certainly dictate your location. 

Happy planning - and good luck
Mary - Vashon
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

thisbe777
on 10/16/09 2:01 pm
just chiming in to say welcome to washington!  i am a native, born in tacoma and lived on a farm at the base of mt rainier (it's MY mountain!!)...  i spent some time away, but i came back -- it's HOME...

i'm currently in federal way, about 25 miles south of seattle - going to college in tacoma...  what can i say, i'm a late bloomer....

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

val_aiken
on 10/18/09 12:29 am - Port Angeles, WA
Hello, I located to WA 1.5 years ago after living 16 years in South Carolina.  We are on the Pennisula. IT is beautiful but somewhat isolated. The weather is perfect I would prefer to live in Silverdale or Bremerton. But welcome to WA
Val

Most Active