Relocating to WA

reenieb
on 10/10/09 10:16 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hello from New England! The fall is at peak season here and I am enjoying lots of trail rides on my beautiful horse, Laela. Had my surgery in 2004, went from 360 to maintaining at 160 these days - got down to 140, have gained 20 lbs. back and am feeling frightened about how painfully hungry I am all the time after nearly 6 years post-surgery. At any rate, I remember clearly my thoughts the night before the surgery having mostly to do with being able to ride, something I've wanted to do my entire life - and not believing it would ever happen. And here I am now, the proud owner of a horse and enjoying every minute with her! The reason for my post: we are planning to relocate to the Olympia/Seattle area and I wanted to say hi, I'm feeling nervous and excited about this new adventure - and wondering if any of you would be willing to share your thoughts about the region - the good and the bad of it. My interests include the arts and culture, lots of outdoor activities, and of course - horses! Thanks so much, I hope you don't mind I popped in like this! Take care, Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Helen_Anne
on 10/11/09 2:28 am - Bremerton, WA
Maureen...

Welcome to Washington... when are you moving... I think Olympia and Seattle are about 60 miles apart... so will you be closer to Olympia?  I live in Bremerton... which is closer to Seattle.. a mere hour ferry ride to the city.

We are not as active on the Washington Board as the main boards are.. but we ARE a great group!!

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

reenieb
on 10/11/09 5:20 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi Helen, thanks for your friendly response to my post! It's all in the planning stages right now, not quite sure where we'll end up but somewhere along that corridor. What can you tell me about the area? What do you love, like, dislike about it? I'm hopeful to get involved with WLS support groups. Take care. Maureen
Hislady
on 10/11/09 5:26 am - Vancouver, WA
I live in southern WA but have visited the Seattle area. It would be a great place for your interests. It is a university town and has lots of cultural and artistic opportunities. The best part is just out side of the metropolitan area are great outdoor opportunities. The Puget Sound and Olympic Peninsula are amazing or to the east are the mountains and farther east the plains area. Washington state has a little of everything from the plains area of eastern WA to the beach areas of the Pacific ocean and all the zones in between. I think we are very much like the countryside you come from just on the opposite coast. I think you'll also find very friendly helpful folks here and I know there are lots of support groups in the greater Seattle area. Olympia is more a government town since it is he capitol of the state. Try googling places and I'm sure you'll find lots more statistical info. Hope you enjoy our beautiful state, I wouldn't live anywhere else!
reenieb
on 10/11/09 7:07 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Oh, thank you! (What's your name??) This is exactly what I was hopeful for in learning - of course, I've researched the state and we are drawn to it for all the reasons you mention; our daughter is headed to the Pacific Northwest and there is no way we are living on opposite ends of the country! Life is too short for that... thank you so much for this. Is anyone else on this board an "oldtimer" like me? I will celebrate 6 years on my surgery date of March 8. I am blessed to be living out my dreams and to be able to move, move, move - still an amazing feeling for me when prior to surgery I could barely take 10 steps without having to sit down to catch my breath. I hope everyone doesn't mind that I join your Board in anticipation of our move. Thanks again! Maureen
Hislady
on 10/11/09 1:38 pm - Vancouver, WA
You're very welcome and my name is Karen.
reenieb
on 10/12/09 7:44 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Thanks, Karen!
Helen_Anne
on 10/11/09 7:22 am - Bremerton, WA
Western Washington really has it all... except 4 seasons... we have fall... winter (mostly rain not snow) .... spring...2 weeks of summer (ok this summer was really nice... an exception to the rule!).  If you like the outdoors.... we have it all... water, skiiing, hiking, boating, cycling...

Most of the WLS surgeon's are in the Seattle,Tacoma, Federal Way, Edmonds, Belleveue/Kirkland areas .. so that is where most of the support groups are... I go to a support group in Seattle and Federal Way... and occasionally in Bremerton.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

reenieb
on 10/12/09 7:45 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Oh, I love the outdoors - kayaking is a passion! Thanks, Helen - this is very helpful. Maureen
Alan S.
on 10/11/09 2:50 pm - Saint Michael, MN

Welcome to Seattle!  Have you thought of having a revision?  If you do, there are many awesome bariatric physicians in the Puget Sound area for you to choose from (you're in good hands).

Take Care & God Bless!

Alan

Most Active