I have a date to meet with the surgeon at madigan

slimmingdown1lastti
me

on 10/3/09 3:01 am
I am scheduled to meet with Dr. Carter on the 19th of this month. Now I am getting a little nervous. I know that I want the surgery, but I think what happens if I don't wake up. I wouldn't know, but that's what scares me most. I just have to have faith that everything will work out. I hear Dr. Carter is pretty good at what he does. When do they schedule your blood work? IS it the same day you meet with the surgeon?

judydunivan
on 10/3/09 3:07 am
I just had my bypass surgery on 09/29/09.  My general doctor did all the bloodwork.  I was nervous like you are and I also thought the same thoughts.  But all you can do is have faith that your doctor is good at what he is doing.  Also I thought the risks are pretty low and it is not a new surgery all more.  I wish you a fast recovery! 
slimmingdown1lastti
me

on 10/3/09 3:56 am
thanks for the words of wisdom and the the special wish..I am giving it all over to GOD. I know that things will be ok. I am only human and we all have fears, and things that makes us nervous. I just try to think about the benefits of the surgery and pray that my health status always remain well even with the lack of absorption of nutrients. that's another one of my worries...
(deactivated member)
on 10/3/09 4:01 am - Ann Arbor Charter Township, MI
Everything will be fine.  My primary care physician did my blood work. When I met with the surgeon it was just to discuss the procedure I wanted and the risks that were possible.  It was simple and fast. When I got my date, she told me that the hospital would be doing blood work as well.

Wishing you the best of luck!
micheleshelly
on 10/3/09 9:38 am - Yelm, WA
Your fears are normal. I think we all have the fears you describe. Luckily the odds are in your favor and by a landslide. The Doctors and staff at Madigan are wonderful. I did have a complication after surgery and another minor issue and they where right on it. You will be fine.

As far as lab work, I had mine the day before, however they typically like to do it the week before. This will not be with the surgeon, but in I believe it's called "Pre-Op." I did not have Dr. Carter. I had Dr. Beekly, Dr. Martin, and they where both wonderful with answering all of my questions whether they where directly related to the surgery, the possible complications, the future, or even just about my own fears. So, don't be afraid to talk to your Dr. when you see him.

You will be in good hands,

Best of Luck,
Michele
slimmingdown1lastti
me

on 10/3/09 11:08 am
Hey Michele.. I remember your from the support group meetings. congrats on your surgery and recovery. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I will ask all my questions. I just want a chance at living life and know how it feel to be able to walk without pain..
rebeccaford
on 10/4/09 12:21 pm - Honolulu, HI
I had Dr. Carter.  Loved him!  Of course most of us think our surgeons are the best.  I had a revision and he was the best for my case.  He's upfront and honest but kind and patient as well.
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

slimmingdown1lastti
me

on 10/5/09 2:48 am
Do you know if Dr. Carter does DS?
micheleshelly
on 10/5/09 3:34 am - Yelm, WA
I don't think so, but could be wrong. Dr. Martin does the DS.
LisaAnn
on 10/6/09 2:20 pm - WA
Trust me, most of us have those same fears! I sure did. The what will my kids and husband do if I do not wake up....I had it all, big time. You have to trust in your surgeon with no doubts.

I have never met Dr. Carter, but have heard great things about him when I was in the research phase.

As far as I have been told, no, Dr. Carter does not do the DS. Just as Michele said, Dr. Martin and Beekley do.

I had my bloodwork the day before surgery in the lab. I think they will schedule your surgery the day you meet with your surgen, then, depending on your surgery date, you will get an appt. for pre-op and anesthesia.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Most Active