What did you bring (or wish you had brought) to the hospital

pnw
on 9/24/09 12:00 pm - Vashon, WA
 So it's T minus 2 days.  Sat. morning and I need to pack.  Pack what?  It's not a vacation.  I probably won't be able to read much and I don't have a clue what would be the best secret weapon to pack in my back beside my patience and a few extra prayers :)

Looking for your thoughts and your experience on this next step.

I know I will be in ICU due to the heart issues and I will have my trusty CPAP and fav. mask.  I expect 3-4 days in because of the ICU.  

Thanks gang
Mary - Vashon
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

lacres81
on 9/24/09 1:02 pm - silvana, WA
I really missed my own fuzzy slippers and pillow. I was in the hospital for 5 days, and had brought a book and a puzzle book and some hand sewing. I read a little in the book and did a few of the word searches. Didnt even watch much tv. Just healing and walking like they want you to takes a lot out of you. I also forgot my own shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Hope that helps. I will be thinking of you and waiting to hear how you are doing after surgery.

Lacres81

Cheryl N.
on 9/24/09 1:25 pm - Des Moines, WA

Bring lipsmackers/chapstick.  You will def. need it first thing!  I did!! My lips were sooooo dry!!

I wish I had brought my laptop or portable dvd player and phone charger for my cell.  My phone died the next day and I was bored without it until I got into my car and put in the car plug to recharge my phone!

Oh yeah bring your charger for your cell phone!!!

Stretchy or PJ bottoms for when you go home, and bring a pillow for ride home.  I forgot my pillow so I improvised and used my coat! 

Good luck!!!

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Kathy P.
on 9/24/09 5:26 pm - Port Orchard, WA
What I took to the Hospital:

P.J.'s
- didn't use them, used the hospital gown and robe provided
Makeup - Seriously...and I didn't use it
CPAP machine - used it as required...until I checked out.
Books - was on morphine, couldn't focus, didn't read.
Toiletries (toothbrush, paste, facial cleanser, shampoo, conditioner, chapstick) - used the toothbrush, paste, and facial cleanser.
First Aid Kid - Yes, again, seriously. I always have one in my bag...habit. Obviously didn't use it. Had I needed to, I would have checked out and in to a different hospital.
Husband - not sure why I brought him...he was bored. OH WAIT, I needed a ride home, that's right.

WISH I HAD BROUGHT - Baby Wipes since I couldn't shower, and they are softer than a washcloth.

I WILL SEND FOR YOU:
Lots of positive energy, prayers, and joy for your journey! BTW, I live right across Colvos Passage from you! (near Vashon/Southworth Ferry).

Take care, and good luck. Message us as soon as you are able!

BIG GIANT HUGS!
Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
Helen_Anne
on 9/25/09 5:08 am - Bremerton, WA

Of the things I brought with me.... I only used the following....

Ipod with charger
cell phone with charger
chapstick
a pillow for the ride home (to put between me and seat belt)
elastic waist pants
shirt that buttoned in the front

Also... make sure the hospital gives you a dose of pain meds just before you leave... and because you will taking  a ferry home ... get the letter stating you need special boarding... to be by the bathroom or elevator (to get to the bathroom or upstairs to walk around). 

Do you have your post op pain meds already?   I was able to pick my pain meds about a week before my admission.... so I did not have to wait for hospital pharmacy or stop on my way home to get my meds.

I know you will do great!!!  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers..

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/8/09 3:49 pm
Chap stick, and sugar free hard candies.

I was soo dry, my lips were cracking, and they wouldn't let me drink water. Brushing my teeth only gave me temporary relief from my bone dry, butt flavored mouth. Tiny sf mints would have made me much less miserable.
Most Active