Any one have surgery at Madigan?

Megan_1984
on 9/23/09 6:22 pm
Hi all -
I just recently found this wonderful site OH!! So glad that I did!

My name is Megan, I'm 25, my hubby and I are stationed here at Lewis, although he's deployed until next summer. I have 2 little boys, 11 mo. apart. (Nathan Dec 07, and Joshua Nov 08 - both born at Madigan by c-sec)

I had my initial seminar in March, started the pathway officially in July - and am getting ready to have my psych eval next wednesday! I get the results on 6th Oct. Can anyone tell me of their experiences with that at Madigan?

After the psych eval, does anyone know about how long the wait is to see a surgeon and schedule surgery? I was told that I would have surgery sometime in Oct-Nov. I'm SOO excited!

And finally - which surgeon did you have, and what were your experiences?

I plan to have the RNY lap gastric bypass.

Current weight is 267, goal at end is 130. I am 5'2".

Thank you so much!
Megan
micheleshelly
on 9/24/09 5:22 am, edited 9/24/09 5:22 am - Yelm, WA
Hi Megan,

I had surgery at the end of July at Madigan. I had both Dr. Beekley and Dr. Martin. I had the Duodenal Switch (DS). My Dr. was Dr. Beekley and he was just starting to do that kind of surgery, so Dr. Martin was also a part of the team as he had more experience with this type of surgery.
I would recommend both Doctors. However, I have only heard good about all the Doctors at Madigan so I think you will be in good hands with any of them.

You might be looking at Nov. for surgery if you have not seen a surgeon yet. After I got my results from the psych eval it was a couple of weeks before my appointment with the surgeon, but maybe you will be lucky and get it sooner.

The good news is you are close.

Best Wishes,
Michele
Megan_1984
on 9/24/09 6:33 am
Thanks Michele!

I'm not trying to rush the process, I just wanted to get an idea of about when I'd be having surgery just so I can plan. My mom is going to be helping me after surgery, with the kids, and she thinks to be my food police.. lol. I told her that I'm not going to want any of it, but she's not convinced.. 

Did you get to pick your surgeon or do they just place you with someone based on what kind of surgery that you want to have?
Forevrtaja
on 9/24/09 7:55 am
Hi Megan,

Congratulations on being so close!!  It'll be here before you know it.

I had RNY on 3/20/09 by Dr Eggebroten, who I absolutely adore!!  His bedside mannor was great and he did a wonderful job with me.  (I had to be converted from Lap to open due to previous scar tissue being in the way). 

All the Dr's there are great, you'll be in very capable hands with whomever you go with.

Michelle
I am not saying good-bye to food, but just setting new boundaries in our relationship 

HW/SW/CW/GW
404/387/212/199
Fleur de Lis TT with Hernia repair 8/20/2010.  13 lbs of skin removed!
LisaAnn
on 9/24/09 10:02 am - WA
Hi Megan, welcome to the board! You will find tons of info here for sure!

I had my surgery September 9th, with Dr. Martin. I had a revision from a VBG (Stomach stapling) in 2006 to the Duodenal Switch (Same as Michele who posted above). Dr. Martin is an awesome surgeon, as I am sure they all are. My hospital stay was great as well, the nurses were kind, and very helpful!

I did not need the psych eval, so I got to see my surgeon right after the nutrition appt., then had surgery not too much longer. Sorry I can't be of help with that question.

I am pretty sure though, that once you see your surgeon, you will get your date and be on your way!!

Congrats, not much longer now!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Megan_1984
on 9/25/09 1:22 pm
Thanks for the input ladies! I am so excited. 

I'm very glad to hear that you've all had such good experiences with Madigan. After having my kids there I was a little worried.. lol.

scott54
on 9/25/09 9:24 pm - McKenna, WA
RNY on 09/24/08 with
My experience at Madigan was, and continues to be, great.  Dr Sebesta did the surgery (RNY) and was promptly deployed to Afghanistan (he is back now but on leave for a couple of more weeks).

I think, after the psych eval, I waited about 2 weeks to see the surgeon and surgery was a month later.

Hope it helps,
Scott
newlisab
on 9/27/09 1:57 pm
Hi Megan,

I had mine at Madigan just 2 weeks ago- couldnt have gone smoother- the nurses were top notch!   But I also had my son there too and was also as equally impressed -)
Lisa ~ 
262/138
124lbs LOST =post op   size 2-4
-

Most Active