Tell me about your dr

Pam M.
on 9/12/09 5:04 pm - WA
My doctor is great, he operates at Overlake. He has no pre-op diet requirement. As a matter of fact, when I saw the nutritionist, she said, "we used to have pre-op people lose weight before surgery, but Dr. Lauter won't let us put patients on a diet."

I ate a deluxe cheeseburger, large onion rings, and large Sprite 2 days before my surgery, and I was fine. When my doctor was doing rounds at the hospital, I told my doctor what had eaten 2 days earlier, and he said, "that is why you need to refer people to me. No crazy pre-op diets. It is not necessary."

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

val_aiken
on 9/13/09 12:19 am - Port Angeles, WA
I think I will attend one of his info sessions.  I am considering postponing surgery until next summer while I spent more time researching Drs
Thanks
Val

VickiStevens
on 9/13/09 1:48 am - Tacoma, WA

I suggest you research other doctors and find one that works for you.  That said, I truly believe Srikanth is the best. 

I know there are other doctors who will operate on you without the pre-operative weight loss.  There is a reason for that weight loss though.  The quick weight loss helps to shrink the size of your liver - the liver is a large organ and with morbidly obese folks it tends to be very large! 

Shrinking the liver allows the surgeon more room to work with while s/he is operating.  This creates a safer operative experience for you.  I am not saying that you can't have a fully successful surgery without the pre-op diet and shrinking the liver, you can.  But shrinking the liver gives you a better chance at a successful surgery.

Good luck!

Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
val_aiken
on 9/13/09 3:17 am - Port Angeles, WA
Thank you Vicki, I understand the purpose but also know I have to function in my life.  I have lost weight but not enought to please Srikanth. When I've done liquid diets in the past my blood sugar drops too low to function.  I am willing to lose all the weight necessary by doing high protein, no carb and doing the 10 liquid before surgery but I can't do 10 liquids alternating with 10 high protein for the next three months. I came out of the appt I had yesterday feeling more crappy about myself and put down.
Val

VickiStevens
on 9/13/09 10:58 am - Tacoma, WA
Good luck with whatever you decide Val. 

Take care.
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
val_aiken
on 9/13/09 11:35 am - Port Angeles, WA
Thanks for responding - I just don't want to make the wrong decision - since this is such a life alteraing situation.
Val

Angelina H.
on 9/13/09 6:21 am
Val

I hope you find what works best with your life however I would encourage you to follow a preop diet for so so many reasons.

If you research all the big WLS locations, such as Johns Hopkins, etc... they all have pretty much the same plan as Srikanth.

I made it thru my pre-op and the 4 weeks post op and if I did it so can you.

I am wishing you the best success and will be watching for future posts from you.

Lisa O.
on 9/14/09 5:02 am - Snoqualmie, WA

My Dr. is Ross McMahon out of Swedish.  He was awesome and didn't require a liquid diet or anything other than "trying" to lose weight through a high protein, low carb diet pre-surgery.  Everyone in the office there is super friendly and helpful. 
Check out his free seminar before you make a final decision. 

3 friends have gone to him since I had my surgery in November and seem really happy with him as a doctor.

Good luck with your decision.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

kayakinbum
on 9/14/09 5:30 pm - Seattle, WA
VSG on 02/23/10 with
I have Dr. McMahon too and, so far, I really like him. I am having to do A LOT of tests before applying to insurance - but I actually like that, it makes me feel safer, we will KNOW for sure that I'm healthy before the surgery - know what I mean?

They told me "try" to lose 10 pounds but just don't GAIN! He feels that a high protein/low carb diet before surgery shrinks the liver just as well as a liquid diet. He said the tide is changing and the research will show this to be true...

He has seminars weekly I think - so check him out.

I agree with Lisa too, the people in his office are SO NICE! They are so helpful and always go the extra mile to answer my many many many questions!

Good luck!

BMI: 55.2/46.6/25 (Start/Current/Goal)

Cynthia H.
on 9/15/09 3:59 am - Renton, WA
I am a patient of Dr. Srikanth.  I know you are concerned about how you will feel during the liquid diet, but you really need to be thinking about the rest of your life.  Dr. Srikanth is strict for all the right reasons.  He wants you to succeed!!!!!  I would not trade my experiences with him for anything.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cindy  

Most Active