update - atrial fibrillation (x-post)

pnw
on 9/10/09 11:30 am - Vashon, WA
 Well as expected my tachycardia that I have had for more than 30 years has become worse and I am now on dilteazem - a channel blocker.  This will not slow down the progress.  I will be on this for the rest of my life.  The good news - I will have a rest of my life and I don't say that lightly.  For those who don't know - A. Fib leads to what we call the feeling of a panic attack but it's really a racing heart to try to get into a good beat.  After all these years I apparently don't have rhythm!  Who knew.  Anyway - when my heart struggles (and sometimes fails) to get into rhythm - I could start throwing clots then that can lead to stroke.  Which also runs in my family.  
This process - getting through the tests for the bypass has SAVED MY LIFE!  If I had not gone to the sleep study I would have go on thinking I was just tired and I had a funky beat in my heart.  I now know my heart actually stops at night and at what I thought was rest could get up to 161 beats to as low as 40 without meditation.  

I was asked to be in a study - gastric bypass and the long term effects on type 2 diabetes.  I am not a diabetic - but have a strong family history.  The bad news - I have to change my diet so my metabolic state changes.  I am not happy with this diet - I feel like I am falling back into my old ways.  Today was the first of just 5 days and I am already feeling heartburn and stomach pains.  

Next week I will be placed on an IV for 6 hours for a glucose test with hourly draws.  Then the next day I will have to swallow ensure for 4 hours (yum).  This is hell for me.  I had lost 15 pounds from my 1000 cal diet for the last 6 weeks and now I have to add back bread and some fats.  I was kicking butt here.  But it's for a good cause and I can go back to my strict post surgery diet the last week before surgery.

I can't believe I am this close - 2 weeks!

Mary - Vashon

Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

Fr33P4m
on 9/10/09 11:53 am
RNY on 12/04/12 with
Glad you found out what was happening. I'm no expert, but, both my mother and a co-worker have had surgery in the past couple of years for A-Fib.  My Mom's was during a valve replacement, my co-worker's was just for the A-fib he was out of work for 2 weeks + 1 day. 

Nice of you to be in a study that will help so many people with Type II diabetes even though it sounds difficult.

Good Luck to you.

[Highest: 295] [Surgery Day: 264]  [Goal: 150] ​[Height: 5'61/2"]          

pnw
on 9/11/09 5:50 am - Vashon, WA
The study
Not that it's difficult just annoying :)  I now remember why I stopped eating carbs and fats!  Heartburn!!!  The team is pushing me through and cheering me on.  I am trying to find carbs that aren't going to kill my gut and cause heartburn.

I also will have to increase my workouts - the carbs have already added 2 pounds. 

Staying focused and visualizing 9/26.............

Peace - Mary

Linda W.
on 9/11/09 6:14 am - Vancouver, WA

Mary,
Sorry to hear about the Afib but glad they found it & can medicate for it. I've been thinking of you & your upcoming date with the surgeon. Will be watching for the progress reports.

Linda in Vancouver!

Linda
"I can do ALL things through CHRIST who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13 

pnw
on 9/14/09 3:57 am - Vashon, WA
Hello Lina - thank you for your thoughts

The meds have been a Godsend....I can actually sleep without waking up like I ran a marathon!  What we don't know can hurt us ........  I have been living this way for as long as I can remember.  I didn't think anything could be done. 

Now with the CPaP and the meds I feel and look like a new person.  Can't wait until the surgery - the sky is never the limit :D

I lost some weight too and am in the 'why am I doing this stage' but always am grounded when I think about all the other times in my  journey that I lost and regained and lost and regained more. 

I turn 50 the end of October.  It has always been my goal to be 50 pounds lighter when I hit 50....it just might happen.  Or pretty darn close.

2010 will bring great things for sure.

Michael is still unemployed but I feel a change in that as well. 

Take care
Mary - Vashon

Most Active