DSHS Info/ Food/ Exer. Journal

Melissa W.
on 9/8/09 12:50 pm - Nashville, TN

Ok, I need to know if anyone knows the best way to do the journal part of requirement because if you do it everyday that is alot of paper to submit. Has anyone got a suggestion or experience on this? My paperwork will go in for apporval next week but this is the initial approval where they say yes you can proceed with the 6 month program or not and I am sure I will get approved at this point. I met with nutritionist today to start getting acquianted and she was great! I have my next two appts with her scheduled. Also, can someone share how quick they are with the approvals? I know there is one in the beginning and then one in the end and during the six months you get the other stuff all done but was curious when you submitted application at beginning how long that took? So, excited! Will be looking for a support group. I am in Enumclaw.

Nicki H.
on 9/10/09 2:56 am - WA
Lap Band on 08/12/08 with
You are getting your surgery covered through DSHS?

I delivered 6 weeks early a 5lb 15oz lil boy:)  After spending 2 months on bed rest in the hospital and Mason spending 11 days in the NICU, we're both home and doing great!  Mason is getting bigger and gaining weight like he should.  Now it's my turn to lose this weight!  It's tough to get back on the band wagon...I CAN do this!

Melissa W.
on 9/11/09 11:24 am - Nashville, TN
Yes, their requirements are alot tighter than most cause there are only two conditions they will count and of course your BMI has to be high enough but if you don't have one of the conditions they wont do it.
lacres81
on 9/12/09 4:20 am - silvana, WA
here on oh there is the nutrion tracker, i dont know if they will take electronic records. also on www.bariatriceating.com they have a journal page, that i have printed out and started using. it is set up for foode, activity, mood, water. it also has a spot to record your supplements. Hope that helps.

Lacres81

Melissa W.
on 9/21/09 8:43 am - Nashville, TN
Going to look at it now thanks!
nicola542
on 9/18/09 12:10 pm, edited 9/18/09 1:03 pm - Bremerton, WA
 I'm also on DSHS and am doing the journaling.  I just got a spiral notebook and didn't know how else to do it. I am putting as many as possible on one page and go to the next. I put the date and day on one line, then everytime I eat I put the time in the margin and what and how much I eat on the same line on the other side of the margin.

I'm looking for a nutritionist that takes DSHS or one at all, how did you find yours?

My Dr said that I will get approved because there are only two things that you will get approved for and one is needing joint replacement. I went and got my paper while writing this, so I knew what I was writting was correct. My paper says:Stage 1(preliminary approval)-you MUST meet the following requirements, if you do not, you do not qualify and under no cir****tances DSHS will not pay for your Bariatric surgery.
The first is age-must be between 21-60
Second is BMI-Must have a BMI greater than 35
Third-Medical conditions/Co-Morbidities(must have 1 of the following)
                                           *Diabetes Mellitus Type ll requiring medication
                                            *Degenerative Joint disease of a major weight bearing joint(s) requiring                                                 joint replacement (this is where I qualify)
MUST not have multiple sclerosis, which  increases risk of morality

Then if you qualify according to the above guidelines, your Dr needs to send in the DSHS Stage 2 pre surgery approval with your medical records for the DSHS committee to review. 

Then when you get your approval you start stage 2 which intells losing 5% of your weight, seeing your PCP once a month, seeing a dietician twice a month, and maintaining a journal of daily food and exercise. Then after your weightloss your pcp will contact your clinic/Hospital you're using and start setting up appointments for the Bariatric Seminar, Surgical evaluation, and Psychosocial Evalution. After all that is done you get your surgery date, after your final approval from DSHS so they know you've done everything required.

I'm going through UW

How do I get rid of my purple ticker? It's my old one.

Melissa W.
on 9/21/09 8:51 am - Nashville, TN
Yea, I know they are the only one in state that takes dshs. I know all the above but thanks alot for the help. I am just trying to find out how long it takes the DSHS Committee to approve. I just found out that they are taking anywhere from 2-4 weeks for an approval. I finally got somone on the phone. So that is good to know. My paperwork goes in on Friday so by end of October. Yay! Good luck to you! Oh, the place I get my health care is Health Point and they have a nutritionist there who I see. Maybe try there if there is one by you but PCP should be able to refer you to one.
Most Active