Dr. Oelschlager at UW

Melissa W.
on 8/22/09 12:23 pm - Nashville, TN
Has anyone had their surgery here with this Dr or one of the others. It looks as if this is where mine will be and who mine will be with after I go through the process.
pnw
on 8/22/09 12:37 pm - Vashon, WA
 I am scheduled in at the UW for a 9/26 surgery.  I have Dr. Oelschalger - but this will be his last surgery.  The other doctor stepping in with him and who will be taking over the unit and as the lead is Dr. Khandilwal.

I have met both - you only get to chat with the doc. for a brief moment as you go through the process. 

when are you scheduled in?   Are you flying in from CA.  
mary - vashon
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

Melissa W.
on 8/22/09 12:46 pm - Nashville, TN
Not scheduled... I am just starting it all. I don't live in CA no more. Enumclaw ha ha! I wish I was scheduled already... but it is coming 6 months goes fast.
pnw
on 8/22/09 12:52 pm - Vashon, WA
 yes - time will fly.  ask if you have questions.  I started my process in April 09 - received final approval in June for a Sept surgery.  

I have to get past the sleep study doc and a small heart issue but everything is a go on the other end of things.  I will most likely have to be hooked up w/ a sleep mask.  I have a art. fib.  in the heart - had it for years - nothing new to me - had several major operations with is w/o complication - I am sure this will be no different

I am now on a very low cal diet and starting Sept 5 -  a 1000 cal diet until my date.

mary - vashon island

Melissa W.
on 8/22/09 12:58 pm - Nashville, TN
I have sleep apnea too and acid reflux but no heart issues. My sister had it in TN in 07 after I was denied by Cigna 2x so I kinda know how it all goes just now looking into Drs there and wanting to decide who I would like to have. Sucks he is leaving or whatever. I am sure it will go good for ya bet you are excited!
pnw
on 8/22/09 1:09 pm - Vashon, WA
 Very excited and scared - not good for the atrial fibrillation  but that's another story.  I also have reflux and high lipid panel.  All this and genes that promise to do a number on me in time if I don't get ahead of this crazy game.

I like all the UW team - right down to the program coordinators.  It's a team - they all work as one.  When I met Dr. O. he was very clear that this was his last round.  The other doc left for his honeymoon shortly after I met him - so the next time I will see him will be surgery day.  Hope he's well rested :D

Like I said - it will be a 4 hand surgery - with one coming in and one going out.  

Have you met the team?  Where are you in the process?  I am with Uniform insurance.  Very clear on what the expectations are.  

Whole family is behind me - my boys are helping me with my low cal diet and giving support.  Mr. Man - hubby - has started to learn to cook a different way and my local fav restaurant is on board as well.

it's a process for sure.  a life style change and a mind set.

good luck.  email if you have any questions - if you are part of the UW process you will be right behind me - I can give you some hints along the way.
m

Melissa W.
on 8/22/09 1:14 pm - Nashville, TN
I haven't met anyone yet I am at the very beginning. I have to get apporval to even start their program from insurance so the form goes in soon. My PCP said it will get approved just have to do it their way and the whole program and follow it. I know it is hard work. You will do fine I am sure. I am just happy to have the chance again. TTYS!
KimJo
on 8/24/09 11:01 am - Lacey, WA
I am to meet with Dr. Oeschlager on Aug 31st or so I thought.  I have a question, what other types of tests are there to do after you meet with the surgeon. And how far out is the wait time before surgery happens?? I am working with Aetna and live in Yelm.

Thanks soo very much

Kim
sweetkathleen
on 8/26/09 2:45 am - Seattle, WA
I had my surgery done at the U of WA. The whole process takes 9 - 10 months until surgery time. That's how long it took for me and I didn't require any special test.

Kathleen

Melissa W.
on 8/26/09 2:50 am - Nashville, TN
What type of insurance if you don't mind me asking?
Most Active