Recipies wanted for "downing" Vitamins & Proteins

Donna Childress
on 8/21/09 4:57 am - Maple Valley, WA
Hi,

I'm only three months post-op and I haven't been very creative.  I've just been adding my vitamins, minerals, and meds, crushed and mixed in my Bullet blender with my protein shakes, water and bit of ice. 

Do you have any good protein shake recipies?  Or some tasty creative way of taking your powdered/crushed vitamins and pills - any great recipies?  If so, can you please share them with me and many others? 

Thank you so much!

ragadolly/Donna

Helen_Anne
on 8/21/09 6:24 am - Bremerton, WA

Try this web site... there are some great recipes and protein shake (and protein ice cream!!) recipes...

She is WLS patients who has developed some great recipes....

www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Donna Childress
on 8/24/09 3:21 am - Maple Valley, WA
Thank you for this website Helen.  I had heard of this one before from Kelley, but have been having major problems with my darn computer accessing it.  I got into it finally just a bit ago and it's wonderful.  Hopefully I can find some great recipies to cover up my meds and vitamin tastes - I just plain can't swallow the darn things even cut in half yet.

Thank you,
Donna

curiousasacat
on 8/22/09 8:10 am - WA
That's the website I told you about last week Donna... You still having some trouble? Let me know or anyone on this forum.... want specifics or? 
Donna Childress
on 8/24/09 3:17 am - Maple Valley, WA
Hi Kelly,

I hope you are better now - I've been worried about you.

I've been having problems with my computer lately.  I was finally just able to get into eggface to look over their recipies.  My big problem is I can taste my iron and vit-B complex in everything I make.  My taste buds are so sensitive lately.  Wish I could swallow the darn capsules, but everytime I try they stick and I gag.  Maybe someday........  I purchased a couple more protein drinks and I've been mixing them together and that seems to help a bit.  Now I've got quite a variety.  I'll keep searching egg face site too.

Thank you,
Donna

vitalady
on 8/22/09 10:22 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
why are you still crushing pills? Is something off with your pouch?

I've never ever crushed a pill! I cut 'em in half for the first 30 days. That's all.

So, I swallow them.

Which protein are you using? How are you making it up now?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Donna Childress
on 8/24/09 3:10 am - Maple Valley, WA
I've been using mostly Champion Proteins - they taste the best to me.  I just purchased a few more from you last week - so now I have more variety and I've been mixing different flavors together.  Sometimes I mix thinner and sometimes I mix thicker - depending on my mood.  No matter which way I do it I can still taste my iron and vitamin B complex - yugh! 

I have tried to swallow them, but they always stick and I gag them back up - no fun.  I've had my pouch checked and was told it's fine.  Many of my meds are fairly big size and they don't have a slippery coating.  I've always had a rough time swallowing pills.  I've had a hiatal hernia repair and endoscope and all is fine so they say.  Maybe I have a mental block against swallowing pills!  So squish them I must.

vitalady
on 8/24/09 7:27 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Have you ever seen me take my pills? I also can't swallow pills. Never could! My poor mother! LOL

But now, well, look at what I do here? I read, learn, and test stuff on us. Don and me, not the ALL of us, of course.

You can hold/roll capsules in your mouth til they start to get sticky, then wash down with protein? I wouldn't recommend you wait til they burst, just til they get mushy.

BUT I didn't know this trick, so all my life:
I chew up the food til ready to swallow. Just before I would sent it down, stick pill(s) in the wad of food. Wrap it up a bit with tongue and all I feel is food going down.

Not only do I not feel anything, but the pill is wrapped in saliva, so is getting the best breakdown I can give it. As we speak, I'm eating a precious few peach slices, chew, add iron + copper in groups of 4, iron + C. So, 4 groups of 3 iron + something. No big deal. I don't use the poly irons, tho. I prefer Tender iron, so I take 12. All i taste or feel are these last few bites of Cadillac peach before the season is over and there are no more Cadillac peaches (get ready for mourning period)

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active