New to the area and the process, Madigan

jen.rae
on 8/19/09 3:44 pm
Hello all! I've recently moved to the Bremerton area and am starting the requirements at Bremerton Naval Hospital to have surgery through Madigan. I'm so new that I haven't even had my frist appointment with the nutritionist (that's scheduled for next week) and I've got to go to the surgery information thing (my mind is blanking on the correct term) at Madigan on Sept. 3rd. Anyway, I'm just looking for people who have had experience with bariatric surgery (any of them as I have no idea what my personal options will be and what I will choose) in general and Madigan, Bremerton, TriCare specifically.

So far I've gotten the thumbs up and consult from my PCM and met with the burse case manager. I've got a BMI of 44 and although I don't currently suffer any co-morbidities I have a really crappy family history (diabetes, stroke, heart disease, etc..) and a history of gestational diabetes.

My mother recently had RNY so she's shared a lot of information with me, but it would be nice to hear from people nearby.

Jennifer
nikkigreen
on 8/20/09 2:46 am
hi jennifer,

hi i am also from bremerton. i had the gastric sleeve done in April 09. you must go see your nutritionist i had strong i loved her she was very helpful. and you must go to all the classes that they have there. you will have to be released by the NUT ( nutritionist ) before you go to psych for you eval and then you will get to see a surgeon. the class that you are going to on the 3rd will explain all the different types of surgeries.

I had the VGS because i have 3 kids (5,3,1) and the recovery was the easiest. if you have any question i would be happy to answer the best i can.

nikki
jen.rae
on 8/20/09 3:17 am
Thanks Nikki. I'm seeing Strong next Thursday and starting the classes next Weds. I'm enrolled in all but the last class because they don't have the schedule out that far yet. I'm anxious to get started.
Most Active