A weird WOW....

Helen_Anne
on 8/12/09 10:24 am - Bremerton, WA
I am vacationing in Victoria this week... and at breakfast this morning (we are at a bed and breakfast)and  this woman at my table ... after hearing I was from the Seattle area.... made the comment about "how she saw all these FAT people at Seatac waiting for the shuttles to the cruise ships and how they probably could not wait until they GOT their 5 plus meals each day! "  While I am horrified by her comment... I was weirdly pleased that she clearly did not think I was fat!!!  I was so shocked by her comment... I did not know what to say back... I will make a point of NOT eating with that couple tomorrrow!!!

I think this maybe the first time since surgery, someone has made comments about obese people... not knowing of course... that I was very obese just a year ago.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

newlisab
on 8/12/09 11:08 am
LOL  That would a 'weird one", but a Good one....Congrats!!!

Some people ca just be so insensative can't they??
Lisa ~ 
262/138
124lbs LOST =post op   size 2-4
-

Helen_Anne
on 8/12/09 1:54 pm - Bremerton, WA
Yes they can...  I am still stunned that she made that comment in general!!! 

Helen

332.5/302.6/231/200

newlisab
on 8/12/09 4:33 pm
but still it must have felt goood to not be included in that observation......lol
Lisa ~ 
262/138
124lbs LOST =post op   size 2-4
-

PinkFlamingoes
on 8/12/09 5:01 pm - Buckley, WA
I've had people make comments like that around me . It always appalls me . It just shows how ignorant some people are . I have never in my life eaten 5 meals in a day . I just made many poor choices in what I ate , in general & ate too much . But 5 meals ....I would have been tempted to say that the last time I went on a cruise , I hoped the skinny people stayed close to the restrooms , what with all the laxatives they take . I say tempted . lol .

Helen_Anne
on 8/13/09 12:45 am - Bremerton, WA
Now that would have been a great come back!!!

I am excited to see you tomorrow... I can't believe that the OH Event is almost here!!!!

Helen

332.5/302.6/231/200

PinkFlamingoes
on 8/13/09 5:19 pm - Buckley, WA
I'm excited to see you , too . I'm so disorganized , these days . I haven't even packed , yet . But , I did print out my map quest maps . So , thats good . lol .

Ardie Thorsen
on 8/13/09 11:24 am - Poulsbo, WA
RNY on 09/03/08 with
Helen,
  A few months ago I flew to San Diego to be with my daughter while she had her surgery.  I had to sit in the middle, which normally would be mortifying for me, but this time I was very comfortable and had room to spare.  I sat in the middle of two men who looked over at each other and remarked how lucky they were not to be sqoze in by a fat chick.  I smiled and after the plane took off I began chatting about family, the weather and personal goals.  I brought out my "fat" picture and let them know that last year I used to be a fat chick with feelings. It got really quiet for the rest of the trip.  I think no matter where in the world I go, there will be prejudice in many shapes and forms.  It's all about attitude and how I feel about myself today. 

I think it's rather ironic that they mentioned 5 meals.  We are supposed to eat 5-6 times a day. Of course very, very small quantities. :)

I'm so glad we're losers...lol

Ardie
Ardie Thorsen
Helen_Anne
on 8/16/09 1:57 pm - Bremerton, WA
OMG... YOU ROCK... I am not sure I could have done what you did...and actually said something to someone who judges those who are still morbidly obese...

I am very proud of what I have done this year... and I am not sure why I can't point out to someone else extreme prejudice.... hopefully I will someday!!!

Helen

332.5/302.6/231/200

curiousasacat
on 8/16/09 3:21 pm - WA
Oh,,, that got me laughing out loud!!! Good for you!
Most Active