Life after WLS -- climbing mountain

STP
on 8/10/09 12:01 pm - Tacoma, WA

I'm cross-posting this from the DS forum because I know many others locally are here on this one -- and I am so darn proud of the accomplishment that I am excited to share it far and wide. Set your goal and JUST DO IT! And a special thanks to my buddies in the DS support group in Tukwila for rooting me on.

It has been 21 months and 130 pounds since my DS. I celebrated my 61st birthday and my new body and health on Saturday by climbing Mt St Helens. It was a VERY grueling challenge, but I made it to the summit! It was a great feeling even though I was the last up (only by a little bit), and the group that I was climbing with sang 'Happy Birthday" as I reached the top. It was the hardest physical and mental thing that I have ever done -- certainly something that never in my wildest imagination I saw myself doing before my DS.

Here's a link to some photos and details of the climb (you don't have to be on Facebook to view it). The only photo I am in from this set (from my camera) is the one at the summit (purple windbreaker).

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2013275&id=1458295835&l=439904279a

OK, I admit that everything from the neck down hurts now -- but that's temporary. The triumph is permanent! 

-- Sandy

HW 275 BMI 42, lowest weight 130

CW (sustained) 137, BMI 21   Now am:  Half the person by weight, twice the person by health!

curiousasacat
on 8/10/09 3:15 pm - WA
Hallellujah!! Happy Birthday!!

You're an inspiration for all of us!
Susan O.
on 8/11/09 8:18 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
You are an inspiration! Isn't it great to celebrate all the "non-scale" victories too!?
Happy Birthday!

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

Judy O.
on 8/11/09 10:07 am - Tacoma (Parkland), WA
Hey, welcome back, girl! I've thought of you several times wondering how your "climb" was. Glad to hear it was a success, but I'm not surprised. Hope to see you at the September Tukwilla meeting. Judy
Sheryl R.
on 8/11/09 2:01 pm - Buckley, WA
What an accomplishment!  It was really wonderful to get to hear you and the other panelists tell your stories tonight.  Thanks for taking the time out of your very busy life.
Sheryl

Only "obese" now!

scott54
on 8/12/09 10:25 am - McKenna, WA
RNY on 09/24/08 with
Congrats - that is really something to be proud of!  I've been hiking around on the other side of Mt St Helens, in the National Forest.  I want to, eventually, take on at least parts of the Wonderland Trail (I'm not up for the whole thing yet).

It's been a great summer, a summer I have enjoyed more than in recent years because I can get out and do stuff I've always wanted to do.

Scott
Kathy H.
on 8/15/09 4:45 pm, edited 8/15/09 4:45 pm - Kent, WA
Sandy, you are the absolute BOMB! What a grand way to celebrate your birthday. I'm so proud of you!

Whooooooo-Hoooooooooo!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

pnw
on 8/17/09 10:21 am - Vashon, WA
 WOW! That is a great goal achieved.  Congrats hardly seems strong enough.  They talked about setting goals at the OH Event this past weekend.

Sometimes just getting through the day seems like a goal for me.  But my dream - was to run.  Now - I have never run before - but I like the idea that I might be able to later.  

I also like to bike ride - I used to ride for 40-50 miles a night!  Now my knees and back scream when I am on a bike.  

for now
small steps
and heros in front of me.

you are my hero.

mary - vashon
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

STP
on 8/17/09 12:23 pm - Tacoma, WA

(Thanks to all of you who cheered this along with me!)

Mary--

I was at the conference over the weekend, too. Based on my personal experience, I think that celebrating along your journey will be important. Obviously MSH climb was not my first goal along the way, but I did decide to do it last January when I was just 14 months from my DS.(I was enticed into signing up for this seemingly crazy plan by the fact that the geologist was going up on my birthday.) 

I was out walking with a friend in Texas a few months ago, and decided to run the last couple of hundred yards. It just felt good! You will be able to do whatever your heart calls you to do -- your body will be able to follow. Running or biking or who can imagine what... Best of success on your journey to a renewal of life.

-- Sandy

HW 275 BMI 42, lowest weight 130

CW (sustained) 137, BMI 21   Now am:  Half the person by weight, twice the person by health!

pnw
on 8/18/09 12:55 am - Vashon, WA
Thank you Sandy
Yes - whatever my heart call me to do. 

Along the way to getting to this point I have already learned much.  I feel I have a second chance - something many feel. 

My own goal was to be 50 pounds lighter by my 50th birthday (10/28).  I am now down 10 pounds pre surgery.  This could happen. 

And I feel once I have small things happen and other WOW moments - I will begin to feel I can take bigger steps.

I signed up to become an OH leader.  I have always been able to organize and insipre - my latest was working with teens for cancer awarness.  Yes, I can.

Heck - just staying up past 7 pm should be my first little goal! 

Peace
Mary - Vashon - just across the pond from you :D
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

Most Active