What surgeries do they do at Madigan?

Tania I.
on 8/10/09 8:25 am - McChord AFB, WA
Does anyone know if they perform the DS at Madigan? I have seen a lot of posts about it and wondered it it was the "best' procedure. I don't know if I would even qualify as my BMI is a 36 and usually one has to have a higher BMI. Anyone kknow?/
~Tania~  (I'm 5'4")              
LisaAnn
on 8/10/09 8:55 am - WA
Yes, they do. In fact, I am scheduled for the DS!! (Just today!!)

I feel it is the best procedure for me that is out there...not for everyone, but certainly for me.

I would stick to your guns and if the DS is what you want, then GO FOR IT!!!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Tania I.
on 8/10/09 10:14 am - McChord AFB, WA
Yay!!! Good for you! I am waiting patiently!! I see Dr. Martin Wed to schedule mine. Who is doing your surgery?

Take care!
~Tania~  (I'm 5'4")              
Turtle13
on 8/10/09 10:42 am - WA
Hi Tania,

I know that Dr. Martin does the DS at Madigan. You are so lucky you have him as your surgeon. I'm still going thru the Pathways classes (unfortunately) so I probably won't be able to meet him for my surgery until later in the year.
Turtle   
SW/CW~252/145
rebeccaford
on 8/10/09 3:05 pm - Honolulu, HI
Miss Turtle, I'm coming to walk you around the halls of Madigan, too when you have your surgery!!! 
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

LisaAnn
on 8/10/09 4:16 pm - WA
Rebecca, I will join ya...she will have a group walk!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Revision from 2006 - VBG

LisaAnn
on 8/10/09 12:13 pm - WA
Tania, Dr. Martin is doing mine as well. How exciting!!!

Kim, no, not later in the year, soon! I just know it!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Revision from 2006 - VBG

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/11/09 3:01 am
The others answered the DS at Madigan part, so I'll mention the requirement part.

The requirements are the same as for any WLS, so if you qualify for anything, you also qualify for the DS. Your BMI is right on the cusp, but if it were any lower you would need to have a co-morbidity to qualify, like sleep apnea, high blood pressure or cholesterol.

I had my DS a while ago, and wi**** were available near here at the time. You're lucky.
Tania I.
on 8/11/09 3:18 am - McChord AFB, WA
I am definitely going to have to ask Dr. Martin about DS. I don't want to have 2 surgeries if I can avoid it! I already planned on having the VSG. I can't wait to meet with him and get my date!!!!!!!

The only down side is is that my husband is going to school in Fort Benning the end of September. Luckily I have an awesome mom who is coming to stay with me! Then after she leaves I have an awesome best friend who is flying out with her two crazies (kids) to combine with my 5 crazies!!!! Should be an intereting recovery! She was a great help after my son was born and I had a c-section... actually helped me more then my hunny did! She stayed with me in the hospital the first night (my son was moved to a local hospitals NICU due to breathing problems and our military hosp. couldn't help him there). All I remember is that she snuck me some Cold Stone, a coke and rubbed my feet! I was pretty loopy, they had me on anxiety meds due to the seperation from my newborn son... the meds were great!

Anyway... I can't wait to get this process moving along and get the surgery over with! I have had some pretty nasty complications from an appy a few years ago, which lead to another surgery where they removed my right tube and ovary. The drains Scare the hell outta me! I remember them hurting so bad when they pulled them out, I wanted to punch the doctor!! I know it is literally seconds long.. but very painful seconds!!!

Thanks for support. I would love to have an angel if anyone wants to volunteer!!

~Tania~  (I'm 5'4")              
Most Active