The 1000 cal diet pre-op - found a good link for counting - FREE

pnw
on 8/7/09 7:31 am - Vashon, WA
Hi WA gang
I have been working on my 1000 cal pre-op diet plan.  I wanted to start early and not freak out when it came to the wire the end of August.  So I found this site http://my-calorie-counter.everydayhealth.com

It is a nice online FREE tool that helps me track what I need (or don't need)- my case calories.  Well I don't have to tell those who have been there done that - 1000 cal is not a lot!  It is in fact a scary low cal diet for me.  But I am doing it today.  I wish I had more strict guidelines to follow - i.e., liquids only.  This open ended - do it on your own - is a bit overwhelming. 

I figure when I get through this time frame I should be well on my way to post op care.  i wonder how much I will drop in the next 7 weeks! 

Counting every crumb is an eye opening experience.  I will miss my oatmeal - (at 220 cal - OUCH)   I hope  the head hunger calms down in a few days.  Right now that is the beast within.  I know the value of weight loss pre-op.  I have fatty liver dz and I can feel it when I am pushing my weight limits. 

I want t ease into the 1000 cal for the first few weeks.  Maybe start with a goal of 1000 and not stress when I go over a bit.  I figure every day down gets me closer to THEE day.

I know it's 7 weeks out - but right now I don't know if I can do this.  I think I am in mourning....

Mary
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

curiousasacat
on 8/7/09 8:01 am - WA
I remember being in your shoes before the surgery... I noticed a couple of times that I'd start thinking, no way I can't go through this... then I realized it was one of those "time of the month" phases making me doubt a lot of things. After a few days, that "feeling" went away.

Hang in there.  I think I had a couple of "last real dinner meals".... (real? more like junk) but basically... It was just junk food I was saying good bye to. I am now very happy eating healthy regular food. I admit that I was a junk food eater... didn't know anything about empty calories and all that... plus I also craved carbs like french fries and potatoes and pasta and all that.... Now, I don't care for them anymore -- it's kinda weird how my view point of food really changed over time.   My way of life back then was more like "live to eat"....  now it's "eat to live" and live life to the fullest doing activities that I couldn't do before, being more social and not be ashamed of how I look anymore.

The calorie counting may be frustrating... I think some people fall off the diets because they are "counting" .... Diets don't work for me. But I understand that some surgeons want us to lose 10 or 20 lbs before surgery so it's easier on them. 

I wouldn't punish myself too hard if I went over 1000 calorie limit....we've been struggling a long time and wouldn't have this surgery if we could successfully do it ourselves, not with those co-morbities dragging us down.    The surgery is a tool; we need it and use it wisely.

Again, hang in there, Mary!

Kelly
pnw
on 8/7/09 12:25 pm - Vashon, WA
 Thank you Kelly,
Yes, we have been in the battle way too long.  I sometimes think 'is this really me?'  
I think by next week - when I see some benefit to my efforts I will feel so much better.  I don't want to miss this opportunity.

I thought I was a good eater - then I did the numbers....... 
Sugar is my weakness.  I fear even adding a sugar free pudding in - just the taste of suggested sweet sets me going.  I have learned much along the way - and I thought I knew a few things.

Mary
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

lacres81
on 8/9/09 7:47 am - silvana, WA
I am glad you found that site, sounds like it is helping you keep track, sometimes just keeping track helps us see where we could be making better choices. I used that site to also, i was able to see patterns as to my eating, and that helped alot. My pre op diet was 3 glasses of milk at a time, 3 times a day. I had to drink the milk with in 5 minutes. Funny thing is after about the 3rd day i was not hungry any more. I also had a nite on the fair during this time frame, and couldnt even pig out like i wanted to -- i just wasnt hungry and didnt want the foods i thought i did, they didnt taste good any more.

Keep up the good work, I will be keeping you in my thoughts as your date comes closer.

Lacres81

Most Active