64 oz

carlycro54
on 7/28/09 4:47 pm - WA
I am 4 days  post op from gastric bypass and I'm trying to figure out how to get my 64 oz in per day . Does the 64oz  mean jus****er or can I count the broth, SF jello and SF Popsicles? If someone could give some Idea how their normal day goes then I  might be able to figure out how to get my protein and water in per day .

Thanks,

Carla

Kathy P.
on 7/29/09 12:28 am - Port Orchard, WA
Hi Carla, and congrats on your surgery!  You probably won't be able to get all 64 oz. in right away, if you are counting jus****er. After consulting with  my doc and nut, I learned that I can count my SF popsicles, clear broth, water, crystal light, SF Jello, etc. The idea is to get the "clear" fluids in. It will take some time, because honestly, sip sip sip all day still does not equal 64 oz.
I am just shy of 6 months and able to pretty much get in over 120 oz. per day, but I drink from bottles, and haven't had a problem with drinking large amounts at a time (I guess some people try to "chug" too early....).

Just get in enough fluid so your urine is very pale if not clear. Then you know you are hydrated, and flushing the fat from your body!

Congrats again, and good luck on your journey!
Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
carlycro54
on 7/29/09 12:41 am - WA
Kathy,

Thanks for your help that makes it easier for me. I was getting worried about not getting in enough. It does seem like I am sipping all day long on some type of fluid.  Have my first f/u visit  tomorrow maybe I will go over all this with my Dr. It sure does help having you and the rest of the support system on this site to bounce questions and ideas off of.  Again thanks for your help.

Carla

Donna Childress
on 7/29/09 2:42 am - Maple Valley, WA
Hi Carla,
I'm 2 1/2 months out from having had my RNY.  I still can't even get close to 64 ounces of liquid.  I used to love liquids - water, and unsweetened/sugar free beverages and would gulp them all day long.  Now I try to sip, sip, sip, and still have difficulty.  I'm lucky if I can get down 24 ounces a day and that does worry me.  For some reason liquids cause me to create foam and it comes back up.  Asked my surgeon about this and he said I was drinking too fast!  I take such tiny little sips I don't see how I can do it any slower!  I find it very frustrating and hope to go**** will improve.  It's weird my protein shakes for the most part seem to go down smoothly - thank GOD.  So does watered down orange juice.  Anything else seems to be a big problem and believe me I've tried everything I can think of.  But seeing that scale go down sure makes it all worth the problems!

Hang in there!

Donna/ragadolly

jcheryld
on 7/30/09 10:45 am
Yes Carla, you are right. Count it all- jello, popsicles, broth, etc. It took a few months before I was able to get all of my liquids in... my NUT told me that if I was getting at least 48oz per day, that was a minimum to shoot for. It definitely gets easier over time. For awhile, just 15cc of liquid calcium filled me up beyond belief! Ohh... the good ole' days! LOL! Keep up the good work and welcome to the loser's bench!!!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

carlycro54
on 7/30/09 2:06 pm - WA
thanks for the info I might be doing better then I thought! Had my staples out today boy did that feel better!! And he said it was OK to move to next level the pureed level. The odd thing like you I really don't have much of a appetite right now. It is so exciting to just get that 2nd chance to take better care of my body!! What a learning experience all this is for !!

Most Active