Loose skin question

newlisab
on 7/24/09 3:57 pm
ok so I'm a bit worried.....does ANYONE get by without needing PLastics afterwards ??? I mean I know its totally unique per person buy is there anyone out there who ca give me some hope that I wont???
Helen_Anne
on 7/25/09 5:57 am - Bremerton, WA

I think it really depends on your age, how long and how obese you are and your skin.  I have a freind who lost about 90#... age 52 and she did not need plastics. 

My insurance may not cover my tummy tuck... I have some "over hang" but I don't have any rashes yet.... but I am about 20# from goal.   I can get a fairly flat stomach when I wear Spanks... which I have not done all summer because of the heat. 

Sorry, I can't be of more help.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Donna Childress
on 7/25/09 6:28 am - Maple Valley, WA
Helen is correct.....

It all depends on your age, your skin type/elasticity, and how overweight you are.  It also depends on how much/how many times you have lost and gained lots of weight before.  Your skin does loose elasticity also with numerous gains and losses - therefore strictly age isn't always the greatest factor.  Muscle tone also comes into factor.  You will look more hangy with loose skin if your muscles are also weak. 

In other words you will have a better chance of not needing surgery if you aren't more than 150 lbs overweight, have not lost massive weight before, have been keeping yourself fairly fit with exercise even with obesity, are still young or fairly young (have not gone through menoupause.  Another gauge is:  if you have had children - were you able to get your belly fairly flat after childbirth?  Or did you still have a overhang then?  If you still always had that wrinkled grapefruit, deflated basketball, or more - then you will most likely have even more after a big weight loss.  And furthermore, it also depends on where the majority of your excess weight is carried.  Some people carry it evenly around their bodies, some in their bellie's then have more slender legs, others carry it mostly in their hips and thighs.  So it also depends on your body type.

It also depends on you individually - many people are just happy with their weight loss and feel why have surgery if they can hid the excess skin with clothes.  Everyone is different.

Best of luck to you.

ragadolly

jcheryld
on 7/25/09 12:21 pm
I agree with the previous two posters. I have lost 120lbs in 6.5 months and I hardly have loose skin... my arms is probably the worst of it, but even at that I don't see myself needing plastics. I've got 20lbs until I hit goal and I can't imagine that it would be much worse than what it is now.
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

newlisab
on 7/25/09 12:51 pm
Ok goood thanks Gals- I had met someone from support group the other night who had said that Everyone needs at least arms tummy boobs....I freaked a bit!!
I have about 130 to be super fine..LOL  probably would settle for 110lbs to lose...but I am pretty evenly distributed....and have been able to squeek through 4 babies without saggy skin or stretch marks, I have lost weight but never HUge amounts...so I will continue to work out now before surgery and hope for the best :<)

Thanks again
jcheryld
on 7/30/09 10:48 am
Oh heck girl you've got good genes... you are going to do just fine! You'll probably hear from people, "I could never imagine you heavy!" or "You don't look like you had weight loss surgery!" enjoy it!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

newlisab
on 7/30/09 11:32 am
Aww thanks Lady!! Heck YOUR my inspiration!!  I can only Hope to have such fast results!
You've done awesome!!!
pnw
on 7/30/09 12:24 pm - Vashon, WA
 4 babies and not loose skin.....yeah - my hero too.  I had twins in my mid thirties (17 yrs ago) and I still have 'baby fat'.  My skin looks like I already lost 100 pounds - wait - I did when the babies were born!!  

I've been living with this for 17 years now.  Not that I love it mind you.  But like they say - depends on how you feel in your own skin.  My cousin went from 540 to 150 and had 100 pounds of skin removed.  She had to.  I have 100 pounds to lose and my skin will not be that much.  

Some loose skin is just unhealthy.  It collects bacteria and causes rashes and sorry - fungal infections.  Then - you can try to have insurance cover because it's a medial necessity.  

I also know a gal who has her PS already scheduled out 1 year from now.  Some people need that as a goal.  

One step at a time.

I feel if you are taking the steps now to love your body and your health you will make the right moves when it comes to PS.  You will know if you need it and you know what .... go for it if you do and love the skin your in.

Mary - Vashon
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

newlisab
on 7/30/09 2:35 pm
Very well said Mary-Thanks!!
Most Active