breast cancer diagnosis

kschroeder
on 7/23/09 8:38 pm
I turned 40 in March and had my surgery at the end of the month.  Things have been going well with the recovery, but I was diagnosed with breast cancer yesterday.  Does anyone have experience balancing the breast cancer journey with weight loss surgery??  Thanks for any information you might have...
LisaAnn
on 7/24/09 7:14 am - WA
I am so very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I have no idea on how to go about balancing this new journey with your weight loss journey, but wanted to send you some good vibes.

I had a scare this last week (got called back in due to suspicious tissue on my mamogram). Turns out I have to repeat it in 6 months. BUT, while I was there, a very sweet lady told me that she has been in remission for 14 years now, and that they have such awesome treatment now that her story is more the norm now a days!

I just wanted to pass that along to you, and wish you the very best success in your FIGHT to WIN!!!!!!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Mdae
on 7/24/09 10:43 am
hey, sorry to hear about this...  but there are tons of reason to think positive.  my aunt had breast cancer years ago, and she's been successfully treated and is cancer free now!  you're not alone, and it's definitely beatable!
Hislady
on 7/24/09 2:52 pm - Vancouver, WA
I am a breast cancer survivor and am 4 years out from my cancer surgery, doing just great. They have soooo many new advances and making more all the time that these days it is the norm to survive quite nicely. Be sure to ask about reconstruction  before all your treatment and make sure all the plans are made before the cancer surgery. By the way insurance companies have to cover reconstruction! I had mine before my WLS so can't help there but just make sure all your docs are kept informed about what is going on and they should all be willing to work together. Best of luck and you'll do just fine with both situations.
pnw
on 7/25/09 2:19 am - Vashon, WA
I lived with cancer in my family for many years.  As mentioned - they have many new advances today that work better and with the body.  Your ONC will work with your PCP and your GB doctors.  They understand your body.  

But - make sure you are also in the picture - you have a voice and your questions are answered.  Remember - keep asking to you get a response you understand - you may not like the response but you need to understand it fully.

Take a friend with you to office visits as a second ear and voice.  You will be overwhelmed with information and your second set of ear and eyes will come in handy.

We always recorded our visits so there were no arguments when we got home of what was said vs. what was heard.

Your body is stronger and more ready to fight this good fight.

One cell at a time.
Peace
Mary - Vashon WA 
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

PinkFlamingoes
on 7/26/09 4:43 am - Buckley, WA
I don't have any personal experience with fighting cancer & having wls , at the same time . That's a pretty unique situation . I just wanted to send you positive vibes . Make sure that your WLS surgeon knows , as he may be able to guide you through your weight loss part , to support your cancer treatment & stay healthy . My heart goes out to you .

kschroeder
on 7/27/09 1:13 pm
thanks so much!  I appreciate the thoughts and prayers!
Kathy P.
on 7/27/09 5:06 pm - Port Orchard, WA

Sending you out a big hug, a wave of positive thoughts, and a quiet prayer. 
Hang in there!
Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
Sheryl R.
on 7/29/09 3:47 pm - Buckley, WA
K,
I'm so sorry to hear this!  I'm an 8 year cancer survivor and I remember what a shock it was to receive that diagnosis.  It was a hard time, and yet it actually had a very positive affect on my life and my relationships. My advice to you is to be informed.  Just as you probably did before you got your vsg, do your research and ask questions.  It also is wise to get a second opinion before embarking on surgery or chemo.  I don't know how your vsg will factor in, but I just wanted to let you know that I've been there and survived quite well.  I'll be praying for you.
Sheryl

Only "obese" now!

Most Active