Seattle support groups

Starting Over
on 7/21/09 3:24 pm
I have apparently fallen off of the wagon and need a support group. My surgeon's support group just doesn't work for me. I can't seem to relate to most of the people there sue to our age difference. Most of my surgeon's patients (well atleast the ones that go to support group) are much older than me.
Anyhoo, I never made it to goal, and so far i'm up 20 lbs from my lowest weight since surgery. Yeah, I've tried talking to my surgeon but he just refers me to the nutritionist who actually has different views of post op life than the surgeon does! weird huh? He wants me to have more protein shakes, she wants less.
Needless to say, i'm left confused and still fat.
Soooooooo, I think I should try another support group. Anybody out there go to a support group in SEATTLE that you can refer me to?

Thanks!
pnw
on 7/22/09 10:46 am - Vashon, WA
 Hi
I have not gone to this one yet (new to the process) but there is one with the UW.  Meets the 1st Wed of the month from 6 pm - 7:30 pm.  Next on is Aug 5

I am looking for one on the weekend or where I live.  I live on Vashon and staying out until 7:30 would mean I don't get home  until 9 pm.  Too late for a 4 am get up.

You can call them to see if they take others who did not have surgery at the UW 206 598 8417

Good luck
Mary
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

bzlatich
on 7/22/09 4:06 pm - Kennewick, WA
i dont have a support group answer for you, but i do understand the dr vs the nut thing i have stayed witht eh protein shakes and vitamins and the nut up there at NW hosp tells me that i need to eat more food, my blood work is good so i'm not too worried right now, the thing that worries me is that if i start eating real food will i gain all my weight back.

how long did you stay on just protein and vitamins. I'm just over 7 months and 103 pounds down, so far its working, i'm just dont want to gain it back.

i was going to try to make a seattle support group but i'm 3 1/2 hours away , whats the age range of the group??/

i hope you find a support group that works for you.

probably not much help, sorry

Barb
Starting Over
on 7/23/09 4:35 am
Yep, that's my problem. The NW hosp nut wanted me to eat more and protein shake less, so I started doing that at the end of last summer when I was working out ALOT and my weight wasn't budging.
Maybe I'll try going "back to basics" with Chebli's protein plan. The average age of the NW group seem to be 40/45+. The nice thing is that there are so many newbies that they started a "seniors" group. So I tried that and but I still encountered the age issue. Maybe I'm just weird, but I don't feel "supported" when  I have nothing in common with most people in the groups.
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 7/23/09 3:32 am - WA
The Auburn group meets the 2nd Wednesday of each month. We meet at the Eagles 702 "M" St SE at 6:30 pm. In August we are having a line dance class! Come join yhe fun.

Merrilou
Most Active