The Gym

seattlecat
on 7/21/09 9:51 am - Des Moines, WA

Just started going to the gym.  I'm pre-op and want to firm up what I can, while I can.  They gave me two free sessions with a Personal Trainer.  He put me through exercises for upper body one day, and two days later, we did the lower body.

I went back yesterday to start my routine, but the chicken scratch of the Personal Trainer I had is almost unreadable and he's used words and names of machines that I have no idea what they are!  I tried to figure out what I was doing, felt really stupid, so I got dressed and left.  I felt totally out of place as the only "fat" person in the gym, walking around looking lost.

I don't like going into the gym anyway, but they should be more helpful.  I was told that if I needed more help, I'd have to pay for more sessions.  I'm angry and them and at myself!  Any suggestions?

newlisab
on 7/21/09 4:23 pm
Aww that sucks....I know what you mean about that feeling.....while its More than likely not true..most people are too busy worrying about how fat Their butt is to worry about the size of yours!! LOL  I'm not sure what links I can post here; so what I would reccomend is doing a search online for womens workouts.....there are a TON online..PM me if you need some help!  and Good for you!!!!!
juicyprincess
on 7/22/09 3:38 am - Tacoma, WA

yes, get a book (I recomend body for life) that has different exercises in it and how to's. I could probably read it for you (since i read doctors damn chicken) but not gonna be much help since i am in Tacoma...
Focus on cardio for now, if you are just starting out. I just went and found a quick article that might be able to help you for now:
http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/activity/tra inbasics.htm
I would just work large muscles like thighs (hamstring & Quad), Bicept, pecs, and back (like with the row). I wouldnt really focus too much on calves, delts, tricepts, or even abs right now...just get some basic muscle. if you are doing cardio, you are working your calves enough for now. I am not a personal trainer but after over 10 yrs in a gym trying to stay fit and then trying to get fit after getting fat (thin until about 21 then BOOM, i let myself go).

I WOULD NOT buy personal training, most of them are not that helpful (where you could just get a book and learn yourself) unless you are really worried about your form but i did and regretted it (after spending over a thousand dollars on it for the year).

I also really dont like the gym, i find i have been riding my bike, going for walks, and doing DVD's at home, I stretch a lot (it feels so good) and have gone looking to add ankle and wrist weights to add a little strenght training. I have yet to find strenght/resistance training that sounds fun let me know. For me, the lights, the loud music (that overwhelms my ipod) and smells (perfume, sweat and cigaretts) are not a pleasure for me...I did have some fun with yoga and pilates but many moves i cannot do (neck injury) and so i bagged it.

starting:282
6/25/09: 232.2
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 7/23/09 3:51 am - WA
You now rude people stink! August 12th at the Auburn support Group meeting ,we will learning some line dances, It should be great fun and wounderful exercise! Come join the group. We meet at the Auburn Eagles at 6:30 pm

Merrilou
pnw
on 7/23/09 12:14 pm - Vashon, WA
 You are not your gym!! - Remember - if you did not buy their over rated programs - they would be out of a job!

So to that end - try these alternatives:
Walk - Walk - Walk - it's great weather to out and re-discover our neighborhood or drive to another (Vashon is just a boat ride away...)

I have the Wii - that is fun but you have to have the machine of course - my kids had it and I just purchased the EA series for about $50

I got a FREE NordicTrack ellipitcal on Vashon free cycle AND a FREE NordicTrack cross county machine.  Love that one.  I got on tonight for about 15 min.  I will follow with stretching tonight before bed on a large ball.

Also
I am doing breathing exercises for surgery.  I have a hand held 'trainer' but you can do this on your own.  Try this:
1.  Take 30 normal breaths in - hold each a bit longer each time then you will return to less but eventually you will get longer holds
or
2.  Get small balloons and blow up about 30 EACH night.

This will help your lungs and help prevent lung issues while in the hospital.

Hang in there
Walk
Drink Water
Enjoy your freedom and your ability to carve out your own destiny.  

Peace
Mary
Vashon

The ellipitcal - you can have if you want.  That one hurts my knees.  If you want to make the ferry ride and have a truck - it's yours.  
Think of where you've been ~ Dream of where you are going
Share your goals with others and pay it forward.

Donna Childress
on 7/25/09 5:15 am - Maple Valley, WA
I too hate gyms!  My husband and I turned our spare bedroom into a home gym.  I was just going to post on the forum that I'm looking for exercise buddy/buddies to help me get motivated on my home equipment when I say your post.

My equipment is collecting dust!  I have a top of the line Bowflex Treadclimber which is better than a treadmill or walking.  It combines the action of walking and stairclimbing and is really gentle on legs/knee's.  It has all the programs and runs at easy simple levels of to fast and hard.  It can hold up to 300 lbs.  I also have a Bowflex Ultimate home gym, some free weights, an AB lounge and soloflex vibrating platform. 

I live in Maple Valley which is about 30-40 minutes drive from Des Moines.  I had my RNY surgery on May 21st, 2009.  I know I'm a bit of a drive for you - but I do offer free private home gym and friendship.  I'm home pretty much all day - I no longer work, and my hubby works very long hours at Boeing.  I live in the country on some acreage and there's also plenty of outdoor walking here too if you'd like.  If you're not working presently and have the time - I also don't mind driving and I love to walk malls, parks etc. (I just sunburn badly so have to cover up for outside).  To be honest I need new friends.  Since I quit my job, all my old friends still working and they just don't have time to exercise or goof off!  Get's lonely!  I'm just off of highway 18 and the 244th exit in Maple Valley.

If interested give me a call at (425) 432-0156

Donna/ragadolly

SeattleJenn
on 7/27/09 6:09 am

It's just a suggestion - but - have you looked into Curves?

I know exactly what you have gone through. Years ago I joined Bally Total Fitness - man oh' man did I ever feel out of place. Nothing like being a "real" sized woman and going into workout with the skinny gals right next you on the treadmill. After a few weeks of that - I quit going.

Now - with a refocus of my new healthly lifestyle - I'm embracing the gym - but under my terms. I've looked into Curves - and it just for women of all shapes, sizes and ages. Give it a try - you just never know - you might like it.

Good luck with your search and hope you find one that makes YOU feel comfortable.

Most Active