After eating

dewy3
on 7/19/09 2:08 am - Rochester, WA
I have been doing great the last few weeks but I am having a minor problem that seems to be turning into a little more than a minor problem.  Whenever I eat a meal I tend to feel sick afterwards and get so sleepy that I have to fight to stay awake.  I have been doing protein drinks for breakfast and lunch but it seems that if I eat anything else I feel terrible.  For dinner I eat my protein first and then veggies.  I haven't eaten potatoes or bread since surgery either.  I have also been retaining a lot of water in my legs.  I am taking a water pill for that and it seems to be working but eating food is a problem that doesn't seem to be getting any better. 
Has anyone else ever had this experience and if so what did you do? 

Donna Childress
on 7/19/09 5:13 am - Maple Valley, WA
Hi Dewy,

I had my RNY proximal on May 21, 2009.  I've had many problems similiar to yours.  I just saw my surgeon Friday because of my feeling sick afterwards problem.  I've been getting in 90 to 120 grams of protein a day - generally doing two protein shakes a day (I use a scoop and 1/2 which equals about 35 grams per shake).  Then I have another high protein meal containing of COSTCO Rotisserried/cooked chicken.  It only costs $4.99 for the whole chicken and is so tender it melts in my mouth.  Three ounces has 44 grams of protein.  It tastes so good and I've found it to be one of the few things that really dissolves and slides down with little effort.  I can also do some baked salmon (I wrap in foil and stuff with a little lemon and tomotae slices for seasoning).  Three ounces has about 30 grams of protein and cooked this way it's really moist and goes down pretty easily.  Vegetables - I've had problems with gas, pain and discomfort even when I really mash them up.  The only potatoes I can handle a bit of is the Yukon Golds.  The others give me problems.  Salad greens, brocolli, cabbage - I just can't do yet.  I can eat a couple of bing cherries and a bit of watermelon.  If you do try bread - I'd recommend sourdough - it's the only one that works for me - but I eat very little of it because I want to loose weight now and save my calories for "quality" high nutrition items - mostly protein items, just a tad of fruit.  For vegetables I do well with a glass of V-8. 

Dr. Oh pressed upon me that with my RNY proximal I should be eating 700-800 calories a day - and most of that protein.  He wants me to stay at 90 grams of protein a day, no sugar, no milk, no cheese.  Shame on me I do eat fat free cottage cheese about once a week and I have done really well with that.

I told him about my feeling uncomfortable and sick after eating and tiredness too.  He said I was eating too fast and too much!  He told me to eat no more than 2 tablespoons at a time.  He said he creates the pouch that small so that we will have discomfort and not overeat - that's the whole purpose of the surgery and he wants us to be full and feel full without stretching our pouches.  Last night I ate about 2-3 tablespoons of my chicken, waited about 20 minutes - was still feeling a bit hungry so I downed another 2 tablespoons, waited another 20-30 minutes, and then downed another 2 tablespoons and felt really good and full.  I figured the total I ate was 3 ounces, had about 40-45 grams of protein and had 100 calories - less calories and better tasting than a protein shake and more satisfying.  Also you are not supposed to drink when you eat because that will cause you to fill faster and expand your pouch too - plus they want the food to stay in your tummy longer to get some nutrition out of it and liquid flushes you out faster.  Supposed to drink up to the time you eat then not for an hour afterwards.  Shame on me again - I find I do need to take just a little sip when I finish. 

I also take blood pressure medication that has a low dose of water pill in it.  I haven't been having any problem with legs swelling lately.  When in doubt best to call your doctor.  Also are you getting all your vitamins in????  Vitamins and protein are most important.

Hope this helps,

Donna

Kathy P.
on 7/19/09 6:23 am - Port Orchard, WA
When are you do to see Doc Landers again? You may want to call Julie, and perhaps get your glucose levels checked. Could be a reactive hypoglycemia.  Also, watch the carbs. Before my RNY, if I had just fruit for snack, then I'd get sleepy as well.

Also, talk to your NUT (assuming you are working with Accomplish?). I consult with Laura every two weeks, and ask her questions as well....that is what they are there for.

Remember every surgeon is different. Dr. Landers and NUT have me on about 550 to 650 calories per day with 60 grams protein, and I am 5 months 10 days post op.

With the exception of Pure Protein bars (on the fly), I focus on getting all of my protein from "regular food" sources. Just my preference. I don't want to rely on shakes and powders as part of my new lifestyle, but again, just my preference. Many people use both and seem to do great. 

So hon, call Julie at Doc Landers office and ask about labs, etc?

Keep me posted!!
Hugs,
Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
Kathy P.
on 7/19/09 6:24 am - Port Orchard, WA
When are you do to see Doc Landers again? You may want to call Julie, and perhaps get your glucose levels checked. Could be a reactive hypoglycemia.  Also, watch the carbs. Before my RNY, if I had just fruit for snack, then I'd get sleepy as well.

Also, talk to your NUT (assuming you are working with Accomplish?). I consult with Laura every two weeks, and ask her questions as well....that is what they are there for.

Remember every surgeon is different. Dr. Landers and NUT have me on about 550 to 650 calories per day with 60 grams protein, and I am 5 months 10 days post op.

With the exception of Pure Protein bars (on the fly), I focus on getting all of my protein from "regular food" sources. Just my preference. I don't want to rely on shakes and powders as part of my new lifestyle, but again, just my preference. Many people use both and seem to do great. 

Keep me posted!!
Hugs,
Kathy
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.

Kathy P.
on 7/19/09 6:25 am - Port Orchard, WA

Keep me posted!!
Hugs,
Kathy
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.

Kathy P.
on 7/19/09 6:29 am - Port Orchard, WA

Keep me posted!!
Hugs,
Kathy
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.

dewy3
on 7/19/09 3:07 pm - Rochester, WA
I will be seeing Dr Landers on July 28th.  And I will be speaking with the NUT this week so I will explain it to her as well.  Tonight I tried eating very slow and only had 2.5 ounces of chicken and didn't feel so bad afterwards.  I will have my labs done this week and will talk to the Dr.  I will post what I find out.

Thanks

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 7/20/09 1:08 am - WA
Sometimes if I don't look at the sugars (I try and stay below 3gr) I feel sleepy! Also I don't drink anything with my meals. Also I eat slow and chew-chew -chew! It helps. Good luck make sure you talk to your Dr.

Merrilou
millikan01
on 7/20/09 10:08 am
I am 9 months out and still have this problem each day.  I feel...too full sometimes even before I eat enough.  I also got on a water pill for the water weight.  I have found that about 3 times a week I need to drink a sip (or two) of Sprite or Ginger Ale.  Sometimes the pouch gets air in it, and this causes massive indigestion and discomfort.  The soda/carbonation works EVERY time!  The sick feeling is the absolute worst! But now I know how to control it.  Usually after just two small sips of the sprite, I burp for about an hour, but burping gets the gas (air) off of my stomach and chest.  Also, try putting a drop of baking soda on the back of ur tongue with water or with the soda; its a natural PH balancer and will help with your stomach and those feelings of sickness.  You may also wanna try splitting one meal into two, cuz no matter what my doc says i 'should' be able to eat in one sitting, my body says something different. It will kill me to eat like half of a chicken breast, so I just listen to my body.  If I feel I am getting full after two bites, I walk away and then try again in another 15 minutes or so.  Hope this helps!
dewy3
on 7/20/09 2:59 pm - Rochester, WA
Tonight and last night I ate really slow (mostly 40 minutes) to eat very little that I had.  I have done much better the last 2 nights for dinner.  Maybe I have been eating too fast.  I will still talk to my Dr next Tuesday.  Tomorrow I get to go do my labs.  Oh joy.  NOT>

Most Active