Serious Question....

angi1524
on 7/15/09 1:57 pm
I had RNY on May 13th. So far I have lost 37 lbs. I have noticed that I can eat more than I thought I could. I mean My co worker can only eat 1 taco and she had her surgery 2 weeks before me, while I can eat 1 taco and part of another before I feel full....I spoke to Dr. Beekley and he did not seem too concerned about it.  Should I press this issue? I don't want to go back into surgery and I am still losing weight......but I don't want a stretched pouch, so I haven't been eating until I feel full. Any advise?

Beetle
on 7/16/09 12:07 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Let me know if you find a solution because I have the same problem, except worse.
I am very sure I COULD eat several tacos!

I've never felt a whole lot of restriction and I have basically NO food issues like dumping.
Sometimes I am glad that I can eat like a "normal" person (i.e. reasonable portions), other times I wish I had problems with sugar and fat, and wish I could only eat a tiny bit.

My doctor just shrugs it off as "everyone is different" and doesn't think there is anything wrong.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 7/16/09 5:29 am - WA
You might want to drink more protein, It should make you feel full.
angi1524
on 7/16/09 6:13 am
Thanks for the advise. I am glad I am not the only one. I will definitely try more protein. I guess I shouldn't stress if the doctor isn't. I'll just keep watching what I eat. Thanks again!

Donna Childress
on 7/16/09 11:16 am - Maple Valley, WA
Sounds like we are in the same boat.  I had my RNY surgery on May 21st.  I also can eat more than I think I should be able too before I feel totally full and I also tend to want to graze.  Perhaps this is head hunger????  I'm really not sure.  I'm still eating much, much less than I used too, but I do feel like my weight is coming off too slow.  I've only lost 26 pounds since my surgery.  I've been sticking to my protein drinks well and have been staying around 700-900 calories a day.  I was told not to got over 1,000 for the time being.  I've been sticking to all high protein, low fat foods, with just a small amount of fruit thrown in, and also low carbs, no sugar.  I'm frustrated at my slow loss.  The answers I receive are exercise more, drink more liquids, etc.  My guess is that it's difficult for doctors to see the exact size of the pouch they are creating and some of us get slightly smaller ones than others???? That's all I've been able to come up with.

Hopefully we will still succeed!

Donna

angi1524
on 7/18/09 3:19 pm
Hi Donna!

I completely understand how you feel. I don't think I am losing weight as fast as I should but I know that the weight I have lost, I never would have lost it without this surgery. You should be really proud of the weight you have lost. 26 lbs is a  lot. Sounds like you are doing great on your eating. Keep it up and I am sure we will succeed! Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one!

Angie

Most Active