DR. RABKIN

nana_10
on 7/10/09 4:42 am - Kettle Falls, WA
HI, I'M NEW TO ALL THIS, I COULD USE ALL THE HELP I CAN GET. I'M LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON DR RABKIN. DOES ANYONE HAVE INFORMATION ON THE DUODENAL SWITCH.

THANKS NANA_10
Beetle
on 7/10/09 5:22 am, edited 7/10/09 5:24 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia

Hello Nana and welcome to the board.

Here are a few bits of wisdom I can share with you:

1) There is a whole section on oh.com that is all about the duodenal switch. It has information, its own message board, etc etc etc. Here is the main page for it:
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/

2) I searched for that Dr and found two by that name, neither is in WA so I don't know if they're much good to you. However, here they are:
John Rabkin and Robert Rabkin .

3) Please don't type in capital letters. That is considered shouting plus it is hard to read.

You've come to the right place for your research, oh.com has been super useful, I'm sure we all appreciate it very much.

Good luck in your journey.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Kathy H.
on 7/10/09 2:27 pm - Kent, WA
Hi Karin!!

The two gentlemen you named are actually brothers. Robert Rabkin has retired, and John Rabkin is still practicing. It's John Rabkin that will be speaking tomorrow evening at the DS support group.

~smooches~

Kathy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

nana_10
on 7/11/09 1:30 pm - Kettle Falls, WA
Beetle, thanks for the information it's very much appreciated The Dr. I'm looking for is John Rabkin. Sorry for the capital letter i work in a program at work that requires me to type in caps. It's a habit that i need to break.I think the only bump in my way is going to be my insurance not covering the procedure for the DS.
Kathy H.
on 7/10/09 2:21 pm, edited 7/10/09 2:27 pm - Kent, WA
 Hi, Nana!

As it happens, Dr Rabkin will be at this month's Seattle area DS Support Group meeting. He'll be giving his full DS presentation, and this time he's brought along a psychologist who will speak, as well.

Rabkin doesn't come often ... every four months? Something like that. But what a perfect opportunity for you to hear what he has to say straight from his mouth, *and* have the opportunity to speak with folks who are currently living with the DS surgery.

Now, here's the bad news. Well, only bad because it's such short notice. The meeting is tomorrow afternoon at 3pm at the Southcenter Sizzler in Tukwila. I have no idea where Kettle Falls is, but I HOPE you can make it to this support group meeting. It would be well worth your while to join us!

In the meantime, I encourage you to read on the DS forum, and read the information available on the dsfacts.com website. I'll even make it easy for you and post the link at the bottom of my reply.

:)

There are a handful of DSers that post here on the Washington forum board, and or course even more on the DS forum board.

I hope to meet you, tomorrow!

http://www.dsfacts.com/

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I haven't answered.

xoxo

Kathy

Edited to add: There is also at least one local Seattle-area surgeon that performs the DS ... Dr Shrikanth. There are usually a handful of Shrikanth's patients at the meeting I mentioned above.

Here's Rabkin's Web site:

http://www.paclap.com/aboutus/jrabkin/

And Shrikanth's:

http://www.centerforweightlosssurgery.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nana_10
on 7/11/09 1:35 pm - Kettle Falls, WA
Kathy,thank you for the links I will check them out, It's very much appreciated.
Kathy H.
on 7/10/09 2:39 pm - Kent, WA
oh, wow.

~laughing~

Kettle Falls is all the way up there by Colville! I'm going to guess we won't be seeing you, tomorrow.

BUT... the good news is, Rabkin also gives a presentation in Bellingham on occasion!

Here's the information off his website regarding who to contact for both Bellingham and Seattle. If you email the Bellingham contact, you might find out that Rabkin has a date scheduled to attend their meeting sometime soon!

The best of luck to you... msg with any questions!

WASHINGTON

Bellingham
Every other Saturday of the month. 12-2pm. St. Joe’s Health Education Center, 3333 Squalicum Parkway, Bellingham WA, 98225. Call or email Jennifer J., 1-360-223-1798.

Seattle
2nd Saturday, 4-6PM Informational Seminar/Group support. Sizzler(206-575-0427) Restaurant, 16615 S. Center Pkway, Tukwila, Washington, 98188 (near airports) off Interstate 5, near South Center Mall. Laura, 206-920-8159 [email protected]

EricW
on 7/16/09 10:23 pm, edited 7/16/09 10:27 pm - Kettle Falls, WA
Hey nana:

Sorry I had to bail on dinner last night.  I am currently buried in a huge project where I am going to attempt to take a 300 ton turbine by barge from Grand Coulee to Revelstoke, BC on the Columbia.  I will make a night next week and we'll break bread or prolly some BBQ ribs and talk about WLS.

I haven't been on here as much as I should, and I lurk when I am on.  I'll do better.  I see you got the link for Rabkins office, maybe send an e-mail to Barb there and she will get you going on who to talk to about insurance possibilities.

I should have been more on the ball and taken you over to meet Dr. Rabkin and Dr. Hartman (the psyc. guy).  I bet it was a great meeting.  Dr. Hartman is a great guy and we still stay in touch and laugh it up once in a while.

Next time one or both are up we should go.  Have a good one, and congrats on taking the first steps.  My surgery was like 5 years after I started lurking on here.  Times fun when your having flies.  lol.  EW

This could be a fun way to go to the meetings and address my mid-life crisis at the same time.  lol

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/EricW62/Pics241.jpg
nana_10
on 7/18/09 12:32 am - Kettle Falls, WA
Hey Eric:
thanks for getting back to me,I understand when there's work to be done, Get-r-Done LoL. good luck with the turbine barge sounds like a big project i wish you the best luck with it.
I have phco insurance through my work I'm pretty sure they don't cover wls.  I have researched a lot of info on the ds sounds like thats the was to go, I just need to get approved through my insurance. I will e-mail Barb and see what my options with insurance are.
Thanks Eric have a good weekend

Cherie McNitt

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/18/09 6:17 am
It's hard to find better than Dr Rabkin. IMHO he's probably in the top 3 DS surgeons in the world.

There is a DS board on OH you can ask questions that you can find most DS answers at.
Most Active