MAMC question

newlisab
on 7/8/09 12:44 pm
Hi everyone,

I have 2 questions

1. did you have to do the liquid diet before surgery?

2. From the day you competed your pathways, how long until surgery.

Momof2ArmyBrats
on 7/8/09 1:51 pm
Hello. I did not have to do a liquid diet before surgery but Meg does like to see that you are making an effort to lose weight and change your habits. For your second question it took me 7 months to complete the process from begining to the day of surgery. Hope this helps!
Anna

micheleshelly
on 7/8/09 3:53 pm - Yelm, WA
When I saw Meg before going for the psych eval I had only lost a couple of pounds. She said if I did not lose 10 lbs I would have to wait. I did lose enough when I went back to see Meg after the meeting with the psychologist. She was satisfied and sent me to make my appointment with the surgeon. The surgeon did not even talk about it. -Did not seem to be a concern at that point.
Michele
LisaAnn
on 7/8/09 2:28 pm - WA
I wish there was one standard answer to this question!! It is so frustrating...

I do, however, like the 7 month answer!!! 

I have heard anywhere from (well now) 7 months to one year.....

If it is 7 months, then that puts me at October!!! Oh how I wish!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

ladyjake
on 7/8/09 3:05 pm, edited 7/9/09 2:19 am - Lacey, WA
I return to the surgeon on Monday, July 13th for my pre-op appointment. I will let you know if he wants me to do a liquid diet. I am getting the VSG.

Sept 4, 2008  Seminar

Feb 2, 2009   
First meeting with Meg

Class dates were
Feb 10 - Support Group and Stress Mgmt
Feb 11 - Occupational  Therapy
Feb 17 - Goal setting
Mar 10 - Healthy Eating Class
Mar 24 - 2nd Nutrition Class
Apr 10 - Psych Eval

May 1, 2009
  Last meeting with Meg after attending all of the classes, getting all of the signatures, and getting the Psych Eval

May 15, 2009
First meeting with surgeon -(Other medical problems unable to give a surgery date.)

June 15, 2009
  Second meeting with surgeon (Surgery date set for Aug 4, 2009)

July 13, 2009  -  return to the surgeon for pre-op appointment

July 31, 2009 
- go to the anesthesiologist

August 4, 2009 
- surgery

During the month of April, I called and called, but she was on leave for 2 weeks. That is why I did not see her until May.

I think the surgeons are just stretched thin. They are short staffed and have a lot of wounded soldiers coming back from the wars.  I realize how frustrating it is, but  as you can see it has taken 11 months from the first seminar until the surgery date for me.

Hang in there, be patient with the staff because getting mad and making too big of a fuss will only make things take that much longer.

See ya on the other side of Skinnyville!!

micheleshelly
on 7/8/09 3:46 pm - Yelm, WA
I have not had surgery yet, but am schedule for July 28th. I met with Dr. Martin today and he did not give my any special instructions. I asked him if there was anything special I needed to do before hand and he said no other then he gave me a prescription for Vitamins. I will have pre-op 6 days before and so maybe will be told something then.

From the day I completed pathways it will be about two months to surgery. This is due in part because Meg was out and after completing everything you have to meet with her and then more delay because Dr. Beekley is out on leave for a few weeks. (Dr. Beekley is my surgeon, but Dr. Martin is going to assist).

I know that for some people the wait time for surgery may be a bit shorter.

From my orientation to my surgery date it has been about 10 months.

Michele
newlisab
on 7/8/09 5:49 pm
OK great, thanks all :<)
rebeccaford
on 7/10/09 12:08 pm - Honolulu, HI
I didn't have to do a liquid diet.  And everyone is right, Meg does want to see that you are changing your habits, exercising, and such. 

From the day I was completely done with The Pathways...my surgery was like 2 months out.  I couldn't do it any earlier. 

Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

Lisa B.
on 7/10/09 12:30 pm - Bremerton, WA
Everyone is different, I didn't have to do the liquid diet, but a friend had to for 4 weeks and we had the same surgeon.  I think it depends on what your labs look like and how fatty your liver is.

I went through the navy hospital and it took 6 month. Talked to my PCM in Jan 08 and had surgery in June of 08.
heyheyhey
on 7/10/09 3:22 pm - WA
I did a liquid diet about 24 hours before the surgery. 

As for the wait time, it was a while ago so I cannot even really remember, maybe 6-8 months?
Most Active