UW- questions from a newbie

Carol_P
on 7/3/09 7:41 am, edited 7/3/09 8:27 am
I have been going through the process at UW for surgery. I have Medicare and Medicaid and the surgeon will be Dr. Dellinger.

I just got cleared by the psychiatrist for surgery; now I need to use my new CPAP machine for a few weeks (had to go through a sleep study which found apnea).

My question is: how likely is it that I will have gone through the whole process and then be turned down for the surgery? I have a VERY hard time reaching anyone at UW to answer my questions (like this one- they just tell me to keep going to the appointments they schedule).

About me- I am unsure of my BMI, but I am 5'8" and 337 lbs. I am not diabetic but have high cholesterol, sleep apnea and a blood clotting disorder which puts me at risk with the obesity.

Also- I take tranquilizers which I fear are causing me to be hungry a lot and I overeat. I am trying to get to the gym 3-5 times a week but it is hard with no car. I am eating healthy food now. After surgery will it be a concern that the medication makes me hungry (will it still do this after surgery)?

A little more about me- I'm not having the lap band; will be doing some sort of bypass; unsure of the type.

Thank you for your gracious help.

P.S. I call myself newbie since this is only my 3rd or so post here; I registered about a year ago when I first started thinking of surgery.

Beetle
on 7/3/09 11:09 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
I don't have a whole lot of wisdom for you, I'm afraid, other than strongly suggesting that you'll find yourself a support group or two. You'll find so much help there from real people who have gone through so many of the same issues.

And I wanted to say "hello" and "welcome"  :-)

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

sweetkathleen
on 7/3/09 12:15 pm - Seattle, WA

Hello Carol-
I had my surgery at the UW my process started in Jan of 08 and had my surgery 10-29-08. I know a few other people that had there surgery at the UW.
It's a very long process to complete. Just remember to keep going to your appointments. I would also suggest going to the UW support group the first Wednesday of the month at the UW hospital. I myself go to that support and there are pre-op, post-op people that go too.

As far as your question. I personally don't think that you will be turned down from the surgery.

I looked it up and your BMI is 51.2 and I hope that this helps one of your guestion.

You medication I would take it over with your doctors. It's very important to make sure that everyone is on the same page as far as your medication goes.

I would HIGHLY encourage you to come to support group at the UW from 6pm-7:30pm. If you have any more questions to let me know.

Kathleen

Carol_P
on 7/4/09 6:46 am
Thanks for your replies!

I actually did go to a support meeting in May at Harrison; am currently trying to locate a ride to go again since I am without a car.

Good to know they probably won't turn me down; it is so very hard to live carrying around all this weight.

Most Active