Really hating the Liquid diet (pre-op) Any suggestions?

Marilyn F.
on 7/2/09 1:31 pm
I'm 13 days pre-op and am HATING the liquid diet.  I've become an afficianado of sugar free jellos, puddings and drinks, and all the different broths out there...  Any suggestions for making everything more palatable? 
Marilyn
PinkFlamingoes
on 7/3/09 1:07 am, edited 7/3/09 4:07 pm - Buckley, WA
We all go through this , unfortunately . Pre-op I used my Magic bullet , with ice & coffee syrups , which helped a lot . Right after surgery you won't want to use the bullet , because it adds volume . Also , try freezing crystal light in ice cube trays . Then , blend with vanilla shake . Just try to be creative . It's tough , but you'll get through it .

vitalady
on 7/3/09 2:24 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
You are in NY? Chung Oh is Dr Ki Oh's big brother! Do you mean Ki OH in Fed Way?

pudding--not clear. how many protein drinks, which ones, made how? that helps most ppl thru it

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Beetle
on 7/3/09 7:21 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Sounds like you're trying a bunch of different things, and I"m afraid there isn't much more you can do.
It is rough, it is awful, but it is worth while.

Hang in there - you, too, will make it through.

I had a few really bad days with it...... days where I would look at the phone, ever so tempted to call for pizza. Everytime I found myself tempted, I came to my computer and looked at the before and after photos here on oh.com.

That became my mantra, chanting to myself: "See, THIS is what you want. You don't want food, you want success like these people. You don't want pizza, you want skinny........."

It is tough, but you can do it. All the best!

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Amy R.
on 7/3/09 10:09 pm
Wish I had a magic answer!!! It is NO FUN, but SO worth it!!! 

Are you able to have all liquids or just clear ones?  For the clear liquids only, I too froze crystal light in ice cube trays and then just sucked on them like a popsicle (didn't mix with anything like pudding though).

If you can have all liquids - I used to buy some of the thicker canned soups (like Campbell's Chunky brands) and added a little water to them while cooking, then strained out everything but the broth before eating.  They seemed a  lot more filling - idk, maybe because they are more flavorful?

Have you been allowed protein shakes?  Sometimes making them thicker with crushed ice and reduced water can make you feel more full as well.  I typically make 30gram protein shakes that are only 2-3oz total, but that's just me.

Good luck to you - it will be worth it all, I promise!

best,
amy
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 7/6/09 7:17 am - WA

You might try a warm drink- 1/2 scoop Nectar Cappuccino-1scoop Champion Chocolate not too hot and mix it with a spoon not a sealed shaker! Good luck

Merrilou

Most Active