Newbie here

Awterpop
on 6/27/09 2:13 pm, edited 6/28/09 1:59 am
Hello everyone, my name is Cindy and I live in the Gig Harbor area.  I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to everyone.

I am just starting on my journey of WLS. My surgeon is Dr. Oh out of Federal Way.  I have the utmost trust in him.  I orginally started on this journey thinking that the lapband was the way to go for me, but now reading some more information, hearing some of your stories and really really really wanting this to be forever thing, I am seriously considering the RNY.  I'm still kinda "flipping" between the two.  I would very much like to see myself 200 lbs lighter...wow, that would be so cool.  In a couple of weeks I go for my endoscopy thing so I think I have a little time to make that final decision.

I am planning on attending the convention that will be held in August. I can't wait to meet some of you.  Sounds like it should be a ton of fun and very informative.

Well I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. 

Cindy       
Helen_Anne
on 6/27/09 2:19 pm - Bremerton, WA
Cindy..

Welcome to the Washington board... we are a great group!  And for me... its great to have someone on this side of the water...

There are many of us going to  the OH convention in August... I am hoping that we have a Washington get together at the Convention.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

sassietigger
on 6/28/09 12:53 am
Welcome to the group Cindy...

I'm Terri, and had my surgery the day before thanksgiving with dr srikanth at st. francis.  i was in your same shoes this time last year... going back and forth with which type was the right surgery for me.  i wanted something that was forever, and though there are alot of successes with the band, for me i felt that i would cheat out of it.  I was looking at "me 5 years down the road"... and felt that my love for latte's and ice cream would easily catch up with me with the band. 

though i've learned i can tolerate most any food and don't experience dumping, i am more aware of my daily choices.... having the RNY was the best decision i ever made.

Again welcome, this is a great group... not always the most active of boards, but everyone is great.
~ Terri ~
 Pre Op 293, Surgery 258, Current 163 Goal 150

rebeccaford
on 6/28/09 2:05 pm - Honolulu, HI
Hi Cindy and welcome! 
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 6/29/09 2:53 am - WA
Welcome Cindy! I had RNY 7 years ago (DR OH) I am very happy with the results. Do your research everyone is different. Goog luck and I think Dr OH is wounderful!

Merrilou
Beetle
on 6/30/09 1:31 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Hello Cindy, and welcome to the WA board! I agree with Terri - not always a very busy board, but the people on here are lovely!
Even when I have to go back to Australia (still no clue when that will be), I'll keep hanging around on this board, for sure.

I'm the resident photography/computer nut, so if you need help, let me know.

I am hoping someone will suddenly take up the reigns to organize another local get-together very very soon. They are nice, informal chat and clothing exchange sessions, and I just love to meet people face to face. Hope you can come to the next one...... perhaps you even want to organize it? LOL

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

PinkFlamingoes
on 6/30/09 3:56 pm - Buckley, WA
Welcome , Cindy . I had my surgery 33 months ago & am very happy with my choice . I had an open Medial RNY . Dr. Oh was my surgeon , as well . Not the best bedside manner , but an excellent surgeon . I'll be going to the conference , too . I went to one in Irvine , Ca. two years ago & really enjoyed it . Welcome , again . I'm glad you found us . Kathy

val_aiken
on 7/3/09 1:03 pm - Port Angeles, WA
Hi Cindy, I am Val - live in the Port Angeles area.  I am flipping back and forth between Lap Band and RNY.  Was leaning way over to RNY now leaning more towards the band.  Mostly because I have had 5 major sugeries to my lower abd and have massive adhesion to my intestines.  Also I don't have access to a support group here but there is a lap band group in the area and I think having support is important.
Val

Amy R.
on 7/3/09 10:15 pm
Hi Cindy - Welcome!!!

I don't come on the boards as much as I used to or should, but they have been such an awesome resource for me on this journey - I am glad you found us  =)

Have you checked out the Lap Band and RNY forums? You may find some info that is helpful to you there.  Whatever you decide just remember that you are making the right decision FOR YOU, and every one of us makes different ones.  I had the RNY on 12/9/08 and haven't regretted it for a minute - but personally know folks who have had the Band, the DS and the VSG and all of them are happy with their choices.  

Best of luck in your decision making!
the other amy

juicyprincess
on 7/6/09 1:56 am - Tacoma, WA

Welcome Cindy.
I am about 7 weeks out. I too started out thinking lap band and flipped many times between different surgeries and surgeons for the year it took to get all insurance approval stuff done. I started out wanting Dr Srikanth, then Dr. Heap, then I checked out and picked Oh and finally back to Srikanth. I "tried on" the lapband, the "Heap miniswitch", the RNY, the DS and back to the RNY.
Just do research, more research and lots more research. I will say for a brief second i was looking at the sleeve too, but my insurance didnt cover it. I think its wise to look at all of them before closely so that you dont have regret later becasue you didnt know about a certain surgery what would have been better for you. (as those questions like do you eat sweets because if you do, that band may not be for you, do you love fats and dont want to give them up then maybe the ds, do you want the possibility of dumping, if yes then maybe the RNY, if you like stuff about the band but want a possible better outcome and no fills, look at the sleeve...the list goes on). I literally tried them all on at one time, each time i was convinced i was gonna have that particular surgery, only to change my mind later.
FIND A SUPPORT GROUP, if there arent any in the harbor, go to Tacoma or Federal way or what ever, but get your butt to a support group, one you like and keep going even before and definately after surgery....Dr oh will tell you (like most) its a key to your long term sucess!

starting:282
6/25/09: 232.2
Most Active