hair loss

kschroeder
on 6/19/09 2:46 pm
I'm three months post surgery and am noticing a great deal of hair loss in the last two weeks.  I have been taking my vitamins and shakes faithfully.  Any ideas??
Ardie Thorsen
on 6/19/09 3:13 pm - Poulsbo, WA
RNY on 09/03/08 with
I know it can be distressful loosing handfuls of hair, especially in the shower.  Typically, folks loose an average of 100 hairs a day on their heads. (why not lose the stuff under the nose, on the arms or that chinny *****hin) Anyway, my Doc told me that hormonal changes, blood chemistry changes and anesthesia from the surgery are likely factors in hair loss.  Even taking protein and vitamins will not stop some hair loss.  THEN, there are those who hang on to their hair for whatever reason.  It's a waste of money to buy hair products that claim to grow hair.  I did find that I needed to be more gentle when washing my hair and I use conditioner sparingly as it tends to soften the scalp and loosen the folicles.  I'm almost a year out and now I have this finer curly hair growing out.  Still can't lose the 'stache or the hairy arms, but I think the trade off outweighs the hair issues.  Also, I color my hair to give it a thicker appearance, but that's my vanity showing...Good luck and I hope this helps :)
Ardie Thorsen
Beetle
on 6/19/09 11:39 pm - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
It was like my hair had an appointment with the drain and it KNEW it ! It started falling out right on time at 3 months. I am very good about all my supplements and protein, and I tried biotin for several weeks.

Nothing helped. It wasn't bad for me because I have a LOT of hair to begin with, but I couldn't stop it falling out. It stopped about 6 months later and is now pretty much back to normal.

Just make the most of it via hair styles, and know that it will all come back in a few months.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

jcheryld
on 6/19/09 11:44 pm
My hair loss also peaked at 3 months and went on for at least a month. I have thick, coarse hair to begin with so while others didn't notice it, I saw the long strands in the sink and it always had me panicked. I didn't take biotin or anything, just the regular supplements and tried to go 100% on my daily supps and it eventually stopped. Just press through it, it will get better!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

kschroeder
on 6/20/09 8:05 am
Thanks so much!  I appreciate the advice!
Emerald47
on 6/25/09 1:54 pm - Renton, WA
Everyone seems to be very different in this area. I added biotin supplements, and used a biotin shampoo and conditioner - and I did notice a difference after about 1 week. The hair loss went back to 'normal loss' and it is also growing back very nicely.
Talk to your doctor, but using the biotin shampoo and conditioner wouldn't hurt it - especially the type you get in the supplement stores. They are very gentle, and even if the biotin itself doesn't help you, the gentle shampoo will be good.
Everyone is different... it did help me!
Good luck!

Most Active