5-Days Post Op

Amanda76
on 6/13/09 9:57 am
Hi All.....New to the site and am looking for some help! I had my Gastric Bypass Tuesday June9th and have felt pretty good untill today! Im feeling off, exhausted its hard to get up and walk. I am not taking any pain meds because they put me to sleep so Im sticking with tylenol only. I am mangaing to get my protien drinks down and vitimins but maybe feeling like Im malnurished? Any suggestions?
rebeccaford
on 6/13/09 2:22 pm - Honolulu, HI
Congratulations first off on your surgery.  From my experience, you are NORMAL!  It's your body just trying to recovery from a major operation.  Don't push yourself too hard.  But keep moving as best you can and keep sipping your protein and water. 

This may sound harsh, but this surgery is controlled malnutrition.  You need rest for your body to heal. 

This phase will pass, I guarantee it.  I had my surgery on April 6 and I'm overflowing with energy. 
Rebecca
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

Kathy P.
on 6/13/09 5:38 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Hi Amanda! Congratulations! I agree with Peggy...what you are feeling is totally normal.  I felt great two days post op, right up until around day 10 to 14. Then I was wiped out!  It's all just catching up with you. You had major surgery, you will have a rapid weight loss...so just make sure to stay hydrated and follow your docs and nutritionists guidelines. You will do amazing!

P.S. You are malnurished, and will be for quite some time...thats why we take all the supplements and focus on protein

So, WELCOME TO THE LOSER'S BENCH!!!

Hugs,
Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
MissKasey
on 6/14/09 8:13 am - Bothell, WA
Hi Amanda,

I am 4 days post op and I am feeling almost the exact same way. I have found, if you like V8 Juice to be my saving grace at this time. My surgeon said 3 days of clear liquids then onto full liquids. I don't think I want to look at chicken broth for a while :)

I am not very hungry at all, but I keep sipping the water and now and then have a small glass of V8 and I mix my protein in with it just to keep the protein up, and my meds and vitamins.

Its been a rough go...but I am looking out further to what is to come.  Hopefully you are getting better soon and all is well!

Kristine
Miss Kasey
Day of surgery 292/Current 279/ Goal 180

Most Active