Scared!

Teresa R.
on 6/9/09 4:00 am - Yakima, WA

Today is my six week  RNY anniversary! I have lost 35 pounds since my surgery! Today I get to try real food and I am scared! I don't want to eat the wrong things or overeat. Anyone have any advice on what may be the best things to try?

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 6/9/09 6:37 am - WA
I started with mashed potatoes and gravy, I would call your Dr. to make sure it is OK with him. I know with me soft foods were the best flakey fish, if you eat pasta make sure it is cooked well.

Merrilou
Helen_Anne
on 6/9/09 7:46 am - Bremerton, WA

My first food was cottage cheese... but other fav's were ff refried beans with cheese and ricotta or cottage cheese with low fat tomatoe sauce heatted up in the microwave.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Kellipenelope
on 6/9/09 8:22 am
I was given the go ahead to eat regular food at my  2 week appt. I have eaten small, very small, amounts of all kids of food staying away from high fat, high sugar foods. I haven't had any problems but I just try a little each time.
newlisab
on 6/9/09 1:39 pm
Congrats on the loss!!!!
Donna Childress
on 6/10/09 3:00 am - Maple Valley, WA
Hi,

I'm probably a very bad girl, but I got so sick after my surgery (almost three weeks ago), with a sinus infection, ear infections, and then bronchial infection, that I started eating earlier - I couldn't tolerate my vitamins for the first twe weeks.  So I started eating cottage cheese mashed real well with avocado.  My tummy loved it.  Also did refried beans with just a little cheese, and blended homemade lasagna.  Ate a homemade egg Mcmuffin yesterday and it sure was good.  I chewed and chewed and chewed and it took me two hours to eat 3/4ths of it.  I'm feeling much better and much stronger now.  I was really sick and feel that I needed real food sooner.  I've only lost 12 pounds since my surgery, but felt getting my health and strength back were most important, and with all the chewing I tolerated it well.  In a few more days I plan to start my exercise program back up with my doctors advice once my chest is totally cleared. 
As the doctors advise, stay away from all fried foods, sugars, white flours.  Stick to your quality fats (like avocados, olive oil, grapeseed oils - etc - yes we do need some fat in our diets - make it quality), flaky proteins like fish, turkey, chicken - chew and chew and chew til it's mush in your mouth.  Cook all veges real well and leave off all that butter and salt!  Thus far sourdough bread works best for me.  I also love blended mixtures of fruit with some ice such as strawberries/banana/mango - it goes down well and tastes so good - I drink about 1/3 - 1/4 cup a day - no sugar added of course - and with ice added it brings the natural sugar content down so that I have not dumped (I had RNY).  My avocado cottage cheese mixture is about 1/4 c. avocado and 1/4c cottage cheese.  My beliefs are that avocado is one of the healthiest things you can eat (super healthy fat in it) and I've heard that a bit of it a day can keep you from loosing some of your hair - my hair if so baby fine thin already - I'm giving this a long hard try.....I've also done well with egg over easy (I use pam spray or just a touch of olive oil).
Hope this helps

Most Active