MAMC question

newlisab
on 6/6/09 6:07 pm
Hi there,

ok so in order to even be on the Madigan pathways waiting list we had to get our referral from our PCM's....but..does that mean we qualify?  I mean what if we lose weight between now and the 9+months till surgery? I mean I will contine to try, but ultimatly I want this WLS- so I dont want to sabatoge anything, ya know? I know the Dr said we could lose a little ( in fact they want us to), but whats too much? Is there anything else; other than a major health setback that will disqualify me>? Thanks!!
mauringa
on 6/7/09 3:46 am - Lacey , WA
If you have a referral then you are qualified for the surgery---as far as losing weight it is your best interest to lose some before surgery----the coordinator will ask you to lose between 10 and 20 lbs for the first class with her until you finish all of your classes and meet with her again on a one on one basis---I would just start walking more and watching what you eat for now---the slower you make the changes in your life the more likely you are to make them life long habits---change one thing at a time for now.

And honestly the time will fly by---I had my surgeons class back in Oct. and I can not figure out where the time went!

Best of luck to you!
Maureen
newlisab
on 6/7/09 3:20 pm
Thanks Maureen! I figured as much- but man there are just sooo many questions to ask!!  LOL
I just wi**** would HURRY it!!  Lol! I just want to start my pathway!!
mauringa
on 6/7/09 3:50 pm - Lacey , WA
LOL---I was the same way---I just wanted to start them---and then once I did I could not figure out how I got from point A to Point b so fast---Hang in there---I t will happen!
newlisab
on 6/8/09 1:47 pm
Ok I have anoher question...my BMI is under 40...I do snore..so probably sleep apnea..but I do NOT want to wear the cpac...my Dr asked me if I wanted him to send me on sleep study, but said it would be pointless if I wouldnt wear the mask...
But U know that BMI's under 40 need a Co-mord...so do I need to have something else documented? Dang I'm just sio worried I'm going to do all this waiting, take the classes and have them say "oh sorry, you dont qualifty anymore" This sorta ties in with my weight question.If I lose weight this also reduces my BMI- is there someone we can ask these questions to ? Or is that done at our first pathways meeting with Meg or the Nut?

Thanks...*yet* again :<)

Lisa
micheleshelly
on 6/8/09 2:05 pm, edited 6/8/09 2:34 pm - Yelm, WA
I am also going through Madigan. I can not answer your questions with certainly, but I think the fact that you are losing weight should not effect whether or not you get the surgery as long as you have already been okay-ed to the first class. Since you would have already seen the Dr. your starting weight should be documented.

If you have not been to a support group at Madigan it would be great for you to attend. This is a safe setting for you to ask these kinds of questions. They have one at Madigan on Tuesdays from 3 to 4 in the nutrition clinic and then one on Thursday evenings. I have not been to the one on Thursdays, but sounds good. It is located somewhere else on Base.

Maybe you can call a patient advocate or even Meg at Madigan and ask these questions as well. That way you would be getting the facts. -Seems like fair questions for you to get answered even before going to the orientation.

I understand your worries as we all have them.

Best of Luck,
Michele
mauringa
on 6/8/09 3:18 pm, edited 6/8/09 3:55 pm - Lacey , WA
Lisa
   Get the sleep study now it is something that they will insist on if you snore---so take care of it now----I had to have one because I said I snored when my alergies act up---I was not diganosed with sleep apnea---but the conclusion of the study said that my sleep paterns would be greatly improved with weight reduction---

Maureen

I also sent you PM-----take care!
newlisab
on 6/9/09 3:31 am
Thanks Ladies :<)  Michelle do you have any idea how I can find out about the eve times for the thursday class? 
micheleshelly
on 6/9/09 8:07 am - Yelm, WA
I think you can just ask right here on this board. I have seen it mentioned in the past many times. Sorry I don't have more info for you.
Michele
micheleshelly
on 6/9/09 8:20 am - Yelm, WA
Hey, I just went and looked back through and found on April 20th a posting that should answer your question:

The topic is: Looking for a support group in the Olympia/Lacey area?
It is 7 or 8 pages back.
I am not sure if the location is up-to-date but I believe it is.

Hope that helps,
Michele

Most Active