Blue Cross?

Karen M.
on 6/1/09 2:27 pm, edited 6/1/09 2:28 pm - Calabasas, CA
Can someone tell me the laws in Washington when it comes to WLS, I have a friend who wants to get the RNY done but was told by her insurance they just don't cover it. Here in CA insurances have to cover it or at least a portion of the surgery. She has a BMI of 40.

Helen_Anne
on 6/2/09 1:33 am - Bremerton, WA

There were rumors that a law was in the works during the 2009 Washington State Legistation sesson about a law that would require insurance companies to cover WLS... but I don't it passed...

I have also heard rumors of people getting the Washington State Insurance commission getting involved and helping patients get WLS covered.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

debbie O.
on 6/2/09 6:24 am - snohomish, WA
Some forms of Blue cross do cover WLS, mine did, but she is going to have to check and then if she has options in the insurance coverage she needs to try and change to one that does cover it. I don't think our state has any requirements for insurance policies requiring them to cover anything, except pre-existing conditions.
Karen M.
on 6/2/09 7:03 am - Calabasas, CA
Thank you both for your responses I will pass this info on to my friend.......I think the whole thing stinks b/c it should be covered :( . I don't know what I would have done if I didn't get the coverage right away....oh wait I know I would have gone blind from the illness I have...so dumb :( . Don't they know they will save more money in the long run if they let people who need wls get it?

Most Active