My doctor is the best! (Dr. Lauter in Bellevue)

Pam M.
on 5/30/09 11:22 am, edited 5/30/09 4:56 pm - WA

I see so many comments on Dr.Oh and Dr. Srikanth, I thought that someone had to do some bragging on Dr. Lauter.

My story? I got my lap band in July of 2008 at Valley Medical Center. Three weeks after my surgery, Valley Medical Center closed their doors. I was very disappointed in how they went about it, giving nobody any warning whatsoever. Rather than wait around until I figured out if Dr. Alperovich was going to open a new practice, I decided to take care of myself and find a new doctor. I called Dr. Srikanth and Dr. Oh, neither of them would touch me because my original surgery was not performed by them. Then I found Dr. Lauter. He was happy to see me.

I first saw him in October, just to meet him and so that he could get my history. Dr. Lauter is very pleasant, and answered all of my questions. I completely trusted him and his knowledge. Also, Kelli, who works the front desk, is great. I love dealing with her, she is very pleasant and kind.

By November of 2008 (4 months post op), I experienced severe pain and vomiting. I called Dr. Lauter and he saw me immediately. He emptied my band, but that did not help. By 4pm, I was still unable to keep anything down, so I called him, and was told to meet him in the emergency room at Overlake. After tests, it was determined that my band had slipped, and he did emergency surgery that night to fix it. It was at this point I started considering revision surgery. Never again did I want to go through that kind of pain. I had always feared RNY, but at this point in my journey, and after finding Dr. Lauter, my fears were gone. I had complete faith in his abilities. I approached him about revision. He said he would support me in whatever my decision was, he explained the statistics on weight loss with both surgeries, and told me if I wanted revision surgery, he would start the paperwork for my insurance.

My insurance currently requires a 6 month pre-op diet; when I was approved for the band, they did not require a pre-op diet. Dr. Lauter wrote such an awesome letter that my revision was approved on the first try without requiring a 6 month pre-op diet. He wrote about the slipped band, and the failure of the band, and why I needed RNY. Because I had already had a psych exam, he did not require me to have another one. Kelli, who works his front desk, was so excited when I got approved, she called me immediately. 

I also want to point out that Dr. Lauter "gets" the struggles suffered by the obese. I have had issues with an ignorant (and frankly, stupid boss), who has harassed and bullied me for FMLA usage. (Thankfully I no longer work for her!) It is a very long story, but he believes that a lot of obese people suffer as I did at the hands of ignorant people. He was also very clear to me that I did not fail the band, the band failed me. How awesome is that? As obese people, do we need more shame dumped on us when something doesn't go right? I don't need a surgeon who is "tough" on me to ensure compliance. I do better with the surgeon with a pleasant bedside manner. JMO.

I had my revision surgery on Tuesday, 5/26. Dr. Lauter was able to do it laparascopically, and my recovery has been a cakewalk. (Bad choice of words, I know!) He said normally there is a 1% chance of conversion to open surgery, and a 10% chance for me since I was a revision. Happily, he did not have to open me up.

My favorite thing about Dr. Lauter? No crazy, rigid pre-op diets. None. I didn't have to fast, live on protein shakes, or starve for 2 weeks pre-op. Granted, he doesn't want us to binge and go on a last supper feasting frenzy, but to be reasonable; he won't make you starve to death. I confessed to him that I ate a cheeseburger and onion rings 2 days prior to my surgery, and he laughed and said, "Tell people to come see me, no crazy diets!" In my mind, that is a testament to his skill as a surgeon. When I was in the hospital recovering, I got a visit from the director of the bariatric program at Overlake. She coordinates the support group. She told me that Dr. Lauter did her revision, and that he was the "King" of revision surgery. He does not do DS, but he does the band, RNY, the sleeve, and revisions. 

Seriously, if you want a top notch bariatric surgeon, go see Dr. Lauter.

http://www.laparoscopynw.com/default.html

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

val_aiken
on 5/30/09 12:26 pm - Port Angeles, WA
Is he and the hospital a Baraitric Center of Excellence.  I've been to Dr Skirkanth seminar. I like him and thought he was a highly skilled surgeon but do disagree with some of his preop diets (10 days liquid, 10 days high protein, low carb) x 3 months.
Val

rebeccaford
on 5/30/09 3:16 pm - Honolulu, HI
You have a great story!  I know we all think our doctor is the best.  What a relief for you to find someone who would listen to you and not judge you. 

I wish you much success! 

Rebecca
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

demented_kitten
on 5/30/09 4:27 pm - Roy, WA
I second that to a tee! My experience was EXACTLY like yours (as you know) even down to the same doctor for my original lap-band and Dr. Srikanth and Dr. Oh turning me down without even so much as a consultation appointment. All because I had my band placed by someone else, so what!

The only difference was my band didn't slip, and I got my lap band in 2005 not 2008. Since my RNY revision on February 3rd, I've lost 70 lbs. ... I couldn't even touch that with my first surgery. Like you, I was so happy and blessed to have found Dr. Lauter and to have someone on MY SIDE for once. Thanks for posting this, there really isn't enough on this website about him.

-Becky
beckui2.jpg picture by myspaceURL

Pam M.
on 5/30/09 4:47 pm, edited 5/30/09 4:48 pm - WA

70 pounds? Right on!

I had to send props to Dr. Lauter. I am so happy to have found him. Wish I had found him the first time around, I might have only had one surgery, and not 3!

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

pam H.
on 5/31/09 10:23 am - Renton, WA
Pam, congratulations on your surgery! I am also a very pleased patient of Dr. Lauter's. I have had no complications, his office staff is awesome, and my care at Overlake was excellent. The staff was very capable, competent, and caring. Overlake is completing the paperwork to become a Center of Excellence. I know that " Healthgrades" gave them the highest possible rating for  bariatric surgery based on positive outcomes. I sing Dr. Lauter's praises to whoever will listen!

Melissa W.
on 6/6/09 2:03 am - Nashville, TN
I will keep this information in mind. I am scheduled to go to seminar with Dr. Oh. My sister has seen him once and she did not love his bedside manner but I am going to see for myself. However, I may alsoattend one with this Dr. to have some choices. I don't even have insurance yet so not like I can do this right away. Thanks for sharing!
Most Active