I would like info about other surgeons in the area

val_aiken
on 5/30/09 12:33 pm - Port Angeles, WA
I've been to Dr Srikanth seminar and had my first appt with him.  I think he is a highly skilled surgeon but I am concerned about his 3 month preop diet that I have do to for my insurance.  I want to explore all my options before I make a decesion.  The Dr and hospital has to be a Center of Bariactri Excellance per my insurance. I have heard that Dr Skikanth's follow up program leaves a lot to be desired?

Tell me about your surgeon and hosipital.  What did you like/dislike?  What is their preop/postop program like?  What do you think of the nut that works with them.  I have been seeing Beve with Dr Srikanth and like her a lot.
Val

Helen_Anne
on 5/30/09 10:43 pm - Bremerton, WA
Val...

I can tell you about my surgeon Dr Hunter... who also is in Federal Way.... but he does his WLS at Virginia Mason in Seattle (which is a Center of Excellence).  You can read my and other comments about Dr Hunter on OH... you will find that people comment on his kindness and knowledge of WLS, and how much they like Dr Hunter.  Most of his patients are out of the hospital with only 1 night in the hospital (Lap bands of course are day surgery).  Virginia Mason has 4 bariatric Surgeons... 3 that pratice out of Seattle (but also go to Lynnwood and Issaquah VM clinics).  All WLS is done at  Virginia Mason Hospital.

Kat Redmon (the Physicans Asst in Dr Hunter's office) does the most of the intial consults and the post op visits for Dr Hunter's patients.  Kat usually attends the FW support groups every month.. so you can ask her any questions you may have ... there is also a speaker at every support group.  You can confirm with Dr Hunter's  office about which WLS surgery procedures he does... but I know he does not preform DS.

Dr Hunter requires that every patient  completes an online WLS course. I have heard about in support group... but I personally did not have do it.  Dr Hunter also requires a 2 week pre-op diet which is 2 protein shakes and one low fat meal a day.  I was able to lose about 14 pounds during my pre-op diet.  For post op.... the first day in the hospital is clear liquids, then 2 weeks of full liquids - protein shakes, sf pudding, sf yogurt, strained cream soups made with enriched milk(milk with nf milk powder added to it  to increase the protein),  and cream of wheat.  Then 2 weeks of pureed foods then 2 weeks of  soft foods... then you can try others foods as tolerated. You are given a protein gram range by the dietition that is based on your height.... so I am 5'10" and my range is 69 to 89 grams of protein per day.

Post Op support.... FW has 2 support groups...one  specially for Lap Bands and one general WLS surgery .  There is also a support group at Virginia Mason Hospital.

Any of dietitions you would get referred to at FW or in Seattle... are very famillar with WLS... since Virginia Mason has been doing WLS since the mid 1980's with Dr Thirby (he practices at the downtown clinic).  I personally like Julie Taborski RD... since she is also a registered councilor and is helping me with my emotional eating issues that have reared up in the last few months.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

val_aiken
on 5/31/09 3:04 am - Port Angeles, WA
Thank you for your response.  I am really having trouble making this decision.  I am only 5 ft tall and around 208 lbs.  I am not getting my support from family. My husband is very skinny can eat a whole pizza at one time and lose weight.
Val

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/09 4:15 am
I have Dr. Srikanth and he does have some strict guidelines however he also has higher than national average, and state average results.  He has a very low death/complication rate as well.  Those two things to me were the most important factors, along with Dr. Srikanth truly cares about his patients and wants to see us all succeed.  I am 5 1/2  months out and have lost 110 lbs of the 150 I have to lose.  Although I do not advocate not exercising, a great deal of this loss has been from following Dr. Srikanths guidelines minus exercise.

I also had to do the 3 month pre-op diet and it wasn't fun but I got through it.

Best wishes to you, I think if you stick with Dr. Srikanth you will be glad that you did.but ultimately the decision is your and you have to find the surgeon that you can be most comfortable with.  Good luck to you and congratulations for making this journey.

Cynthia H.
on 6/3/09 4:20 am - Renton, WA
I had my surgery with Dr. Srikanth.  I have been very happy.  I think he is very strict and that is the reason for his success.  I did the 3 month diet with the group on the 3rd floor of his office building.  I'm not sure if that is who he is using now.  They were very helpful and got me through and approved!!!
Good luck!
Cindy

Cindy  

Lisa O.
on 6/7/09 5:39 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Dr. Ross McMahon in Seattle is awesome!  He heads up bariatric surgery at Swedish Hospital.  He's on this site too.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Most Active