Hospital Bill

Teresa R.
on 5/28/09 3:51 am - Yakima, WA
I just got my hospital bill from St. Francis and just about had a heart attack! It was $81,706.35!!! I only stayed one night which was only $935! I wasn't even in my room for 24 hours because they didn't have any rooms for me. This bill doesn't include my surgeon's fee or the anesthesiologist. I didn't get any of my meds except for lortab. I didn't use the morphine because I didn't need it. All I had to "eat" was shots of ice water! Is water really that expensive in Federal Way?! Thankfully my insurance paid $60,000 leaving me to pay $1277. I just don't understand why my bill is high. I am requesting a detailed billing. Has anyone else experienced a bill like this? Just curious what others have experienced in this.
Helen_Anne
on 5/28/09 4:17 am - Bremerton, WA

I have heard of hospital bills that high... but I would have expected that you would have stayed more than one night...  I think mine was almost $18,000 for 1 night of stay. 

Thank fully your insurance paid for most of it...

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

MissKasey
on 5/28/09 8:38 pm - Bothell, WA
I didn't receive a bill for WLS however, I had to have an angiogram done prior to surgery and the hospital sent me a bill for $18,847 not including the surgeon fees or the anesthesiologist.   I was in the hospital for 6 hours and home the same day. I had nothing to eat. No pain meds, no prescriptions to go home, I did receive a nice plastic water bottle that will be great when I do have my WLS.

My insurance picked up the bill so I don't have to worry about that, however, when did health costs become so high?

I should have requested a detailed bill. That was through Overlake Hospital in Bellevue, I will have to see if I get any other bills, I am going through Evergreen. I had my gall bladder removed yesterday so I will have to see what happens. I was in the hospital for 5 hours from the time of check in to the time of check out.  If I receive a bill from the hospital I will have to see if I can get a detailed copy. Now I am curious...

Kristine
Miss Kasey
Day of surgery 292/Current 279/ Goal 180

jcheryld
on 5/31/09 4:48 pm
The hospital bills are ridiculous! I was in the hospital for 2 nights and ended up with a $22,000.00 bill. Thankfully insurance covered me 100%. I got nickled and dimed on everything, X-ray, anesthesia, fee fee fee... sheesh!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

sassietigger
on 6/1/09 2:49 am
they billed my insurance 88K... my insurance only paid 36K and i only had to pay my 500 deductible....
so i don't have insight on it....
~ Terri ~
 Pre Op 293, Surgery 258, Current 163 Goal 150

S.A.R.A.
on 6/3/09 1:25 pm - Tacoma, WA
Yes they drain every red cent they can... Billing my insurance for 75K and I ended up paying about $1300... total out of pocket expense for the Year $2300. Thats labs, Doc visits, testing... the nice thing now is that everything else for the year is covered at 100%. I planned in advance and set up a FSA account at work...

If your portion is too much... call the hospital they should set up a billing program, you could also ask about financial aid if things are super crazy.
~M

You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.
~~Eleanor Roosevelt

Most Active