OT - my Saturday

scott54
on 5/26/09 10:37 am - McKenna, WA
RNY on 09/24/08 with
I posted this on the RNY forum but some of you might know where Sunrise Peak is at so . . .

So, for the last few months I have been wanting to get out and hike a little.  It's something I enjoy but, frankly, I have been so sick over the past few years with the morbid obesity, I just wasn't in any shape.

I joined Trails.com and began researching possibilities.  I picked a waterfall that is easy to get to.  Saturday I began driving (1.5 hours) and got within 10 miles to find out the road was closed.  Fortunately I had a back up plan.  I drove another hour and finally found the road going up to Sunrise Peak.  Sunrise Peak, for those of you who don't know, is located about the center of Mt Rainier, Mt Saint Helens, and Mt Adams.  I started driving up the one way, dirt road and got about 3 miles from the trail head to find a landslide completely blocking the road.  I parked my truck in a safe place and started hiking.  After I got around the landslide I found the road was in fairly good shape with the exception of two areas, one about 1/4 mile and the other 3/4 mile that were covered with compact snow about ankle deep.  The last 1/2 mile plus the entire trail was compact snow mostly ankle but a couple of places upper calf deep.

So - was it worth it (this ended being a 4.6 mile hike one way).  Yes - it was beautiful up there.  There wasn't anyone else silly enough to walk up like I did so I had it all to myself.  Plus, I did better than expected and now have reasonable expectations for others hikes. 

All in all, I had a great Saturday.

Scott
ImJeniH
on 5/27/09 4:33 am - Katy, TX
That is great Scott! Isn't it great to be in the outdoors again without worring if you can make it!
Blessings Jeni

Jeni......
Highest/Consult W/Surgery W/Current W/Goal W
348/303/298/159/149

Most Active