2 weeks post op and back from mia

Connib
on 5/25/09 4:35 am - Vernon , Canada
Hi all, sorry for the delay in an update, but no computer for the last month.
I had my surgery on the 30th of April at VM with Dr. Thirlby. Everything went well other then a  few days of low blood pressure and not sure why that happened.
I have never been so impressed with a hospital and the staff, Also Dr Thirlby is awesome.
I am just back from my 3 week checkup and so far everything is good. 
I traveled home to Vernon BC on the 3 & 4th, may not a pleasant trip but worth getting back to my own bed. First few days were a blurr with meds.
The 2nd week was hardest for me. I was off pain meds which was good but so terribly exhausted and lethargic. I was getting my protiens and water but still feeling out of it.
I felt like I was starving. So after a huge anxiety attack I called the dietician and she added some eggs and mashed postatoes to my diet. After a day or so I was feeling way better.
I am having the pulling in my left side about 3 inches from my incision, and ony when reaching for someting or streaching. I have heard others talk about it so I am assuming it is normal and since I was done open there is alot of work done on th inside.
Thank you all for your support. I wll post more later.
Conni

HW 256  SW 246  CW 218
Purple_Sparkles
on 5/25/09 7:14 am
Hey Conni! 

Yay I am so stoked for you...I was thinking about you the other day. I am so excited for you!! Glad to hear the VM and Thirlby were great! That is always good news. I go in 4 days...and advise always appreciated!!! Did you get a private room?
Nichole05/29/09 Open RNY Surgery!!! On My WLS Journey!! 
Currently --115lbs as of 11/18/2009!!
Connib
on 5/26/09 2:25 am - Vernon , Canada
Hi Nikole
Yes I did get a private room, only problem was my hubby was staying with me and they did not have any cot available the first night. There is a fold out chair in the room but it is not good for someone over 6 feet and very uncomfortable so he slept on the floor. If your hubby is going to be there with you I would take one of those blow up matresses just in case.. Hubby said the hardest part was the first night when they were checking my vitals every hour. But he would not have left regardless, my hero. lol
Don't hesitate to ask questions. Everyone is very open and quick with getting you what you need.
You will have a catheter, I was anxious to get it out while I still had the ephideral in,  so Dr Thirlby said sure take it out. Well needless to say I had little control when it came time to pee and never made it to the bathroom and had to then use bedpans for the next day . So put up with it till they take out the ephideral.

The nursing staff on 10th floor are exceptional. If Rudy is on you will love him, he is like a little whirlwind he is through your room and its clean, then you feel like you are hot and need a fan and its already there, he is too cute, also Maria is outstanding. They all are but you tend to see more of the techs than the nurses.
Good luck and I know you will do awesome with such great care.
Conni
Purple_Sparkles
on 5/26/09 3:35 am
Yay Conni, Thank you for the information! I am seriously going stir crazy and I am so anxious. Yay for a Private Room!
Nichole05/29/09 Open RNY Surgery!!! On My WLS Journey!! 
Currently --115lbs as of 11/18/2009!!
Helen_Anne
on 5/25/09 9:06 am - Bremerton, WA
Conni...

I am glad everything went well for you...

I liked Virginia Mason Hospital too... but I was also glad that I only had to spend one night there... my own bed was SO much more confortable!

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

mwa9401
on 5/26/09 2:34 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Conni, thank you so much for your post.  I had my RNY Revision on 5/13 and feeling much of what you described during your second week.    Wish you the best and hope that recovery comes soon.  Mari
Most Active