HELP!!! Any One Ride Bicycle Marathons???

S.A.R.A.
on 5/23/09 4:48 am - Tacoma, WA

I am going to ride 230 miles in 3 days in September 2009... I know OUCH! I don't ride much but I started "training" today. My concern is how do we keep up the energy needed to ride long distances... I mean 70+ miles a day.

My company is hosting its annual "Tour" and I want to ride in it. We are flying out to Michigan and the plan is to bike over 70 miles each day for three days.
I am novice rider... seriously around the block and when we go camping is all I have ever done. I know that if I train over the summer I can make it... I will hurt but I will finish even if I have to walk it. I decided to ride my bike to my office today; no big deal 4.5 miles right... OMG the hills made my lungs hurt and I had to eventually walk up them. Then my poor husband had to come pick me up cause there was no way in hell I could make it back up those Hills. Thank God the area we are riding in Michigan is flat.

I am/was super competitive and I WANT to be able to finish the whole thing so I am good to seek out all the help to train that I can.

But... my big question is how do we fuel our bodies when we can't have all those "sugary" glucose gels that riders use? And all those CARBS that riders eat? What am I supposed to do? How much should I expect from my "baby" RNY stomach? Is this even possible?

All advise is much appreciated.

~M

You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.
~~Eleanor Roosevelt

juicyprincess
on 5/24/09 2:04 pm - Tacoma, WA
great question and even more wonderful undertaking you are about to do! congrats, u rock!
i would try posting on the exercise board and the main rny board!

starting:282
6/25/09: 232.2
Kathy P.
on 5/25/09 4:21 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Look into getting some protein bars to keep in your cooler, and some whole wheat crackers and grapes. Back "in the day" when I used to run, coach had us eat some crackers and fruit (we were also monitoring our weight and carbs). Your fluid intake and protein will be more important than your carbs. Your protein is giving you energy as well. So, my best advise, protein bars, water, baggie of grapes, whole wheat crackers (fat free wheat thins would be a good choice).

Good luck!
P.S. Your pouch can handle it...just consider it along for the ride!
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
Most Active