Dr. Srikanth and his "sandwich" diet and a protein question

Linda B.
on 5/20/09 5:55 pm
Did anyone here do Dr. Srikanth's preop "sandwich" diet?  The one where you do 10 days of high protein/low carb and then 10 days of clear liquids and back to the 10 days of protein/low carb again, repeat, repeat to get lose some weight prior to surgery.

I'm doing it until my surgery date, which I haven't gotten yet, but was wondering how others did on it. 

Also, what kind of protein drinks did you use on it? I'm having trouble finding ones with 30 gms. per serving.   Will look again tomorrow though and call his office to see what brands they recommend too.

Thanks!

Linda

Surgery day weight: 344

sassietigger
on 5/21/09 12:47 am
Linda,

I know that Amy (Max's Mom) did this and lost a bunch of weight prior to her surgery. 
As for protein drinks to get the 30g, I do one scoop and nearly a half scoop.  I always make it with water and only do about 3 or 4 oz.  I love the chocolate coconut candy bar by lean desert.  I have that in the morning.  And then during the day I have cookies and cream by champion, as it mixes nicely in a tumbler / shaker.  I still do 2-3 shakes a day, and plan on that forever.  There are days that go by that I don't get around to it, or forget my vitamins, but for the most part I'm pretty good about following his regemin.

Good luck.  When will you find out the date of your surgery.?
~ Terri ~
 Pre Op 293, Surgery 258, Current 163 Goal 150

Linda B.
on 5/21/09 5:11 am
Hi Terri,

Where do you buy the Champion cookies and cream?   

I was initially denied by my ins. co. stating the VSG was experimental.  I have appealed and am waiting to hear about that. Hopefully, they will approve and I can get my date. But in the meantime, I have started that diet to lose some weight prior.

Thanks for the reply!

Linda

sassietigger
on 5/21/09 9:14 am
Hey Linda,
Because it's convenient i buy my powder at super suppliments.  they also say if you try it and don't like it that you can return it. 

Hope all goes thru for you with the surgery approval.  Good for you for starting the process on your own and being serious about your health :)  you'll get there!!
~ Terri ~
 Pre Op 293, Surgery 258, Current 163 Goal 150

Beetle
on 5/21/09 1:34 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Linda, I pretty much agree with Terri.

I lost 27lbs before surgery via his diet (but thankfully only one lot of total liquid).

I have tried lots of different proteins, but keep coming back to the Champion brand, they are my favorites.
Vitalady at Puyallup is one good source to buy from, it is nice to be able to try them all first, and her prices are reasonable.

You don't need to find a brand that gives you 30g of protein in a single scoop, just add it up, do the math and watch for calories, sugar, carbs, etc.

Good luck sticking with it all - it sure isn't easy. Dr Srikanth is tough, but has a great success rate so that makes it all worth it, right?

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Linda B.
on 5/21/09 5:15 am
Hi Karen,

I didn't know or think about adding the scoops to give the 30 gm; that makes sense.  I was looking for 30 gm a scoop. 

I'm keeping track of my prot, carbs and sugar on SparkPeople.com.  But I'm not sure how much protein I'm supposed to get in and where to stop the carbs.  They said limit to 6 gms of sugar.  I don't go to their nutrition meeting until 6/2.    Do you know how many carbs are too much when you're preop?  I'm losing wt, which is the goal, but I'm kinda stewing about how many carbs and how much protein. 

Thanks for the reply!

Linda

vitalady
on 5/24/09 7:28 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
If it's here , to get 30g protein, it HAS to be less than 6g sugar. I drink it myself, so all products fit that criteria. That's as made with water or crystal light, never milk.

Know how to count carbs.

Total carbs
MINUS fiber
MINUS sugar alchols

we do not absorb fiber or sugar alcohols - a mixed blessing), so count the end result, not the total carbs

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 5/21/09 5:13 am - WA
Linda give me a call (253) 939-8865 , I have a sampler pack you might like.

Merrilou
S.A.R.A.
on 5/21/09 1:38 pm, edited 5/21/09 1:39 pm - Tacoma, WA
I lost 23lbs on his diet plan... I am so glad he made me do this for the six months before surgery... I failed getting thru the 10 days so many times.

The six months gave me the ability to mourn food before my surgery and by the time January came along I could stick to the entire 10 days.
I would loose weight during the liquid portion and gain weight during the eating portion... figures right.

I use both Champion and Nectar proteins... loved them.
~M

You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.
~~Eleanor Roosevelt

Most Active