MY SURGERY IS ON FOR TOMORROW/THURSDAY

Donna Childress
on 5/20/09 3:21 am - Maple Valley, WA

If there is any one thing I've learned from my experiences in my long quest for my RNY surgery - it is you have to be your own advocate!  If you sit back and wait for others to speak to your insurance company - forget it do it yourself - you are quicker - doctors offices are very busy.  If you need special testing - make your own appointments - doctors offices are busy and they get forgetful - you are quicker and this is something YOU want - fight for yourself! 

My surgery date was nearly cancelled because of a simple breathing pre-op test - I failed it.  After calling numerous pulmonologists - I found one that was willing to take me in quickly because I had a surgery date and explained how long I had waited for this surgery - I pled my case.  The pulmonologist found something else not quite right - enlarged arteries from my lungs to heart.  He said he would pass my lungs for surgery, but was conerned about my heart.  Panick out again - my surgery was in just 4 days.  Surgeons office said we should probably cancel because I now needed a NEW echocardiogram and that time was too short.  I pleaded with them not to cancel me yet - to give me a few hours to see what I could do.  After a dozen more phone calls I finally got an echocardiogram scheduled for the next morning with a dr. consultation afterwards - I pled my case and they squeezed me in!  I PASSED!!!  And the doctor wrote me a note and signed it - then faxed it to my surgeon.  They couldn't believe it and neither could I!  If I hadn't done this myself - my surgery would have been delayed by at least another month.  BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE AND YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Dr. Oh's office just called me and my surgery is on!!!  I check in at 10:00 am.  Finally I will be able to join the loosers bench with all of you.  Thank you all again so very much for being so helpful and supportive.  I never could have done this without all your help!

Donna/ragadolly

sassietigger
on 5/20/09 3:33 am
Donna,

I am SOOOOO happy for you.  And you are right... We all have to be our own advocates for our health (and life in general)... but this is a starting point for all of us... We wanted the surgery to live a better life and have better health... and get back in control... so it's teaching us all to stand up for ourselves.  The confidence I've gained in myself is amazing... not because I'm thinner... because I've come to realize that i am worth it.  I am worth the space I take up, and my opinions matter and should be heard.

Congrats on your surgery tomorrow.... Next time I get to go to a support group meeting, you'll be on the losers bench with us... WOO HOO... you go girl.
~ Terri ~
 Pre Op 293, Surgery 258, Current 163 Goal 150

Donna Childress
on 5/20/09 4:48 am - Maple Valley, WA
Thank you for your reply.  I can't wait to have that new confidence too.

pam H.
on 5/20/09 4:02 am - Renton, WA
 Donna, I'm doing the happy dance for you!!! No more obstacles in your way!!! You will do great! The loser's bench has had a nice warm spot reserved for you for months. You will be in my thoughts and prayers . Your persistence and tenacity will help you in your recovery, too! Congratulations! 

Donna Childress
on 5/20/09 4:36 am - Maple Valley, WA
Thank you Pam for the happy dance.  I'm so excited and scared all at the same time.  My biggest fear is not the pain but fear of vomiting!  So maybe you can say a prayer for me that I won't feel sick.

Thank you Pam,

Donna/ragadolly

Purple_Sparkles
on 5/20/09 6:26 am
Yay Donna! You are so right! We are the best advocate for ourselves! Way to prove that once more. I am so glad you are getting your surgery. I know you do well with it…bc its something you have fought for!
Nichole05/29/09 Open RNY Surgery!!! On My WLS Journey!! 
Currently --115lbs as of 11/18/2009!!
Sheryl R.
on 5/20/09 6:56 am - Buckley, WA
What a relief!  I'm so happy for you, Donna!  I'll be praying for an uneventful surgery and a quick recovery.
Sheryl

Only "obese" now!

Beetle
on 5/20/09 8:11 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Major pat on the back, Donna - now I'm off to cross finger, toes, and whatever else I can come up with.....

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Dapme
on 5/20/09 8:24 am - kingwood, TX
Donna,

I am really glad it has worked out for you!

Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Denise
MissKasey
on 5/20/09 9:12 am - Bothell, WA

WOOHOOOOO!!!  Way to go!!

I am so excited for you!  It is so well deserved and it is your time!!

I will be waiting to hear how your surgery goes. You are well on your way!

Congrats!

Kristine

Miss Kasey
Day of surgery 292/Current 279/ Goal 180

Most Active