New member, surgery next Wednsday

Kellipenelope
on 5/8/09 12:08 pm
Hi everyone! My name is Kelli, I am 37 years old and am preparing for surgery at the UW next Wednsday. I am a little nervous but its taken so long to get here maybe I don't believe it yet! I have been doing pretty great with the pre-surgery diet, I have lost 17 lbs so far. I welcome any advice or tips people have to offer and am happy to have a place where people "get it". Thanks in advance for your support. Kelli
angi1524
on 5/8/09 4:32 pm
Hi Kelli!
I know exactly how you feel. I too have been through a long journey to get to my surgery, which is coincidentally the same day as yours! I was told to make sure that you bring clothes that are going to be comfortable for when you leave-not too constricting. I am not quite sure which surgery you are having but mine is RNY. The nurse told me that I would be bloated due to the gas that they pump into me during surgery and I may not fit into those lovely socks that they give you so bring slip on slippers. :) And stretchy clothes. You will do great! Just think of all the wonderful things that you will be able to do. I am waiting to join the losers bench-I'll save you a seat!

Angie

Kellipenelope
on 5/8/09 4:43 pm
Thanks Angie! Just reading through this site is helping up the excitement and decrease the anxiety! BTW, I am having RNY also. Good Luck on Wednsday!!
mortonmanor
on 5/8/09 11:32 pm
 Good luck to you Kelli. My wife had a RNY gastric bypass at the UW back in september and we received wonderful care while there. 

I too had the surgery a week and a half ago (Overlake hospital through Group Health). So far it has been pretty smooth sailing. I might not even use Tylonol today. My blood sugars are normal (no meds) and I have lost ~19 lbs since surgery.

Good luck and take care

David

RYN 4/28/09
with Dr. Landers 

Kathy P.
on 5/9/09 5:00 pm - Port Orchard, WA

Hijacked-

David, so glad to hear all went well. You were in great hands! 19 lbs. is unbelieveable isn't it?  How did you like Overlake?

Kathy

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
mortonmanor
on 5/10/09 1:32 am

Overlake was great! The nursing staff made sure I was well taken care of and comfortable. Even with that great care when the gave me the option of leaving in the morning or after lunch, I was out of there first thing.

It also took a while to fully appreciate Dr. Landers sense of humor. As he was getting ready to discharge me, he was telling me that I need to get 50 grams of protein a day. When I asked how I could get that much protein this early on, his answer was "rhinoceros".

On another note, it is amazing to me that at a little less than 2 weeks, post op that I would feel so good (most of the time). Yesterday was my first day without any pain killers, including Tylenol.  That good feeling is great as long as I don't try to do to much and eat well. If I do too much, things will be fine one second and then the next I am so bone tired.

David 

RYN 4/28/09
with Dr. Landers 

Dapme
on 5/9/09 2:01 am - kingwood, TX
Hi Kelli,

I don't have any tips for you...but I am sure you will have a pleasant journey!

Good Luck.

Denise
sweetkathleen
on 5/9/09 2:21 am - Seattle, WA
Hi Kelli-
My name is Kathleen and I am also 37 years old. I had gastric by pass at the UW on 10-29-08. As far as advice -
Just be a good patient
Be sure to do what the nurse and doctors tell you to do
Be sure to get up and walk around
Try to get the water in you.

I wish you lots of luck and that you will have a happy journey on your new lifestyle.

Kathleen

P.S. There is a UW support group that meets once a month. I hope that you will be able to come.

MissKasey
on 5/9/09 7:16 am - Bothell, WA
Hi Kelli,

I am so excited for you to start your travels onto a new you!

I wish you all the best after your arduous journey to get this far.

Great job!

Kristine
Miss Kasey
Day of surgery 292/Current 279/ Goal 180

PinkFlamingoes
on 5/10/09 2:38 am - Buckley, WA
Welcome , Kelli . I didn't have my RNY at UW , but had my tummy tuck , there in late October . I had spent time there a few years before , when my Mom was a pateint & was impressed . And when I was there in October , I was equally impressed . I couldn't have gotten better care . This is such an exciting time for you . Just don't compare yourself to others while on-line . You'll find that people post when they're losing a lot , or when they aren't . They don't post the in between . I thought I was a slow loser . Now , I know I was just normal . lol . Come to OH for people "who get it " . Kathy

Most Active