Rebecca J.
on 5/4/09 12:59 pm, edited 5/4/09 1:00 pm - Kent, WA
Hello!

Just wanted to stop and say hi!

I'm 27, married, live in Kent and was preliminarily approved in January by my insurance company for WLS. I work for the state in the public assistance office and my insurance, Uniform Medical Plan, covers WLS if you have certain health conditions. "Luckily" for me, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I also have PCOS.

Like many people on here, I've been overweight my entire life. Thankfully, I have never been too unhappy. I've always had a positive attitude about myself and a positive body image. However, I injured my knee in a freak accident (i.e. walking up the stairs and just stepped wrong) and that (plus our wish to have children in the future) helped me decide that I needed surgical intervention as other diets haven't helped.

So right now, I have until mid-July to lose 5% of my weight and am within 5 lbs of doing so. After I meet the goal, I get referred to either UW Medical Center or Virginia Mason. After doing the workup, it's up to my insurance company for the final approval. I'm aiming for the Lap Band.

That's me in a nutshell! I enjoy reading other people's posts and it appears this is a very supportive website. I'm thankful for OH.com so far!

I have two questions and hope someone can help me:

1) How do I update my location? I can't find it in the profile links.
2) Is there a page where it displays what all the abbreviations mean?

Thank you for your help!

Met him 12/2001 in NJ;  He moved from NJ to WA 05/2002;  Married 06/2006;  Attempt #1 2008 with Clomid and metformin, no luck.  Decided to go back on BCP;  LapBand 09/2009 at 371.1 lbs.  Got down to 268 by 2012;  Went off BCP 08/2010.  Started Metformin;  BFP 05/01/2011 followed by MC 05/13/2011 (Friday the 13th of all days!). Upped Metformin 09/2011;  Continued on Metformin.  On 10/28/2012 (3 days before semen analysis), had BFP :)  Due date 07/07/13 by size of baby but 6/30/13 by LMP.  Taken off Metformin at 8 weeks due to elevated liver levels.

Helen_Anne
on 5/4/09 1:29 pm - Bremerton, WA
Welcome to the Washington Board!!! 

I am not sure how to change your location... every since they changed the site... I have been very confused how to find things..

You may not know this... Virginia Mason only surgeon that does Lap Band is based out of  Federal Way.  They also have a Lap Band only Support group. Dr Hunter was my surgeon also.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

mauringa
on 5/4/09 2:05 pm - Lacey , WA
Hey Rebecca,
   OK I am no expert but try going to "My OH" and then at the bottom click on settings---I think you can change your location under the "general" tab and contact---you may have to play around alittle I think that is how I did it---

Anyway---Welcome this is a great site and everyone is so helpful and nice!

Take care and best of luck to you!
Maureen
Kathy P.
on 5/4/09 2:53 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Welcome!  The time will fly by! I had my RNY via Group Health, at Overlake. I've read a great many posters who have had their wls at UW or Virginia Mason. Both fine facilities!
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
vitalady
on 5/4/09 3:00 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I don't know about your insurance, or which surgeries (hopefully investigating more than one) you're rolling around in your head.

We have support groups here in Puyallup next week, May 12 & 13, 7pm. PM me for directions, ok?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Purple_Sparkles
on 5/5/09 1:38 am
Hey Rebecca! Hows it going? Welcome to the OHWA forum! These girls/guys are great! Seriously! I started wanting the Lap Band but after some research I changed my decision. I am having RNY at Virginia Mason and seriously I have been so impressed with everything they have already done for me. Good Luck with your 5% your almost there! WooHoo!
Nichole05/29/09 Open RNY Surgery!!! On My WLS Journey!! 
Currently --115lbs as of 11/18/2009!!
sunnyinseattle1
on 5/5/09 11:53 am
Welcome Rebecca. I am Sunny.  Hubs and I live in Fed Way. I had RNY @ UW on 10/28/08. Hope you have a great time on the thread. The people here are great.

Sunny

SW   CW  GW                                
378   256 175-200
*Hope to become a Parent after loss, either by natural or adoption.*

Rebecca J.
on 5/5/09 1:40 pm - Kent, WA
Thank you everyone! :)
I look forward to getting to know everyone

Met him 12/2001 in NJ;  He moved from NJ to WA 05/2002;  Married 06/2006;  Attempt #1 2008 with Clomid and metformin, no luck.  Decided to go back on BCP;  LapBand 09/2009 at 371.1 lbs.  Got down to 268 by 2012;  Went off BCP 08/2010.  Started Metformin;  BFP 05/01/2011 followed by MC 05/13/2011 (Friday the 13th of all days!). Upped Metformin 09/2011;  Continued on Metformin.  On 10/28/2012 (3 days before semen analysis), had BFP :)  Due date 07/07/13 by size of baby but 6/30/13 by LMP.  Taken off Metformin at 8 weeks due to elevated liver levels.

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 5/7/09 4:35 am, edited 5/7/09 4:35 am - WA
Welcome! The Auburn Support Group meets next Wednesday at the Auburn Eagles (702"M" st. SE)  We would love meet you! One of our group members is going to teach a line dance! It should be great fun! 6:30 PM

Merilou
Laurie Landy
on 5/8/09 8:42 am - Puyallup, WA
Hey there I worked for dshs Puyallup and was going through that program with Uniform and then got laid off when they put the hiring freeze.  I would hghly recomend you got through Jeffrey Hunter at Virginia Mason.  I had my gall bladder out with him about 5 yrs ago with no problems.  If you search him on here he has alot of good kudos.  I ended up getting a job that went through Dr Oh and I just had my suregery 4/23.  I lost 34 prior and 53 toatl so far.  I had RNY depending on how much you have to lose the lap band works best on people that are under 300.  I started at 445 so I went with full bypass.  Because I lost the 34 prior they were able to do it laproscopic so I didn't have to be cut open which was a blessing to me :-)  Anyways Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents Good Luck

Laurie
Most Active